- Text Size +

Pt 9


Alice: So, Jim’s been co-manager with Michael for some time now… Dwight’s not taking it very well…


I watch Dwight walk back and forth between Michael’s office and Jim’s office. Pam looks over at me, trying not to laugh. I roll my eyes, also laughing.


Alice: I’m still allowed to find Jim’s pranks funny, right?


“So, you’re coming with Dwight to the wedding, right?” Pam asks as we sit in the break room for lunch.


“Of course! I wouldn’t miss it!” I nod, then lean in to whisper. “I know you’re looking for money as a gift. Dwight’s really excited to get you this gift he found, but I’ll convince him to also write you a check.” I assure, making Pam smile brightly.


Alice: I’d write them a check myself, but it turns out transferring calls and managing Michael’s schedule of doing nothing only pays so much… (mumbles) Not very much…


Pam (beaming): Alice is awesome, I’m so glad she started working here. If I’d met her sooner I’d probably have made her a bridesmaid… Don’t tell Kelly…


“What about these people, Jim?” We hear Dwight yell from his desk.


Pam and I rush out to see what Jim and Dwight are arguing about now. The rest of the office joins in the yelling, blaming Jim for not getting raises. Pam and I share a worried look and retreat back to the break room.


After lunch, I pull Dwight aside just as he’s about to go into the conference room where Jim and Michael have been working all day.


“Hey, what’re you up to?” I ask, raising an eyebrow.


“Oh, nothing, Alice. I’m just preventing a disservice.” He replies, trying to walk away.


“Dwight! Can’t you just let Michael and Jim do their jobs?”


He sighs.


“But Jim is a terrible manager, and I’m just trying to prove that he doesn’t deserve his promotion.” Dwight admits, trying to justify his actions.


“They’re getting married soon, can’t this wait?” I try, hoping I’ll convince him to step down from his feud with Jim.


He shifts on his feet, looking between me and the conference room.


“Besides, he said you’ll be getting a raise, right? So maybe it’s best to let this pass.” I continue, hopelessly.


Alice: Oh, I know he’s still going to intervene, but it’s worth a shot right?


“Aren’t you and Jim friends? Remember when you defended him against Roy? That’s something a good friend would do.”


“False, I was doing what was right for the good of the office, like I am now.” Dwight argues, leaving me and entering the conference room.


“Thank you,” Pam whispers as I pass her on the way to my desk.


After another round of commotion, I walk over to Dwight’s desk, leaning against the edge.


“Remembering my first day here got me thinking. Today’s been a rough day, maybe we could go back to Poor Richards?”


Dwight glances up from his computer to look at me.


“Hm, maybe. If you’d like to…”


Dwight: I don’t believe in drinking to relieve stress. Besides, Alice is a sloppy drunk.


“Well, if you don’t want to we can just go home. Whatever will help you de-stress.” I offer, kissing his cheek and walking back to my desk.


The camera catches Dwight watching her walk away, and then smirking directly at the camera.


Dwight: I was very lucky to win the affections of an attractive, young, smart, kind girl…


Andy: Yeah, it’s been hard to watch Dwight and Alice love it up around the office… Last relationship I had was ruined by Dwight Schrute himself… But I’m happy for them, really…


Kelly: They’re so cute! I wish me and Ryan had a relationship that solid… I can’t believe I’m jealous of Dwight…


Michael: Everyday… I wish everyday that I’d never left this company. Then I would have met Alice first. No question she’d be wooed by my charm… And my magic tricks… Ah, well…


Michael does a basic magic trick incorrectly, and the camera zooms outside of his office window to catch Dwight and Alice walking to their car, hand-in-hand.



During the drive back to Schrute Farms, I groan in frustration. Dwight looks over at me briefly.


“What’s the matter?” He asks.


I say nothing for a few minutes.


Alice: I know exactly what Dwight needs to de-stress…


“I just wish there was somewhere... at the office... where we could…” I admit, playing with my hands, face burning, refusing to meet his eyes.


He stops the car on one of the dirt roads leading to the farm. He unbuckles his seatbelt, and then mine, pulling me over to his side of the car. He starts to kiss me, lowering his seat.



You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans