- Text Size +

Chapter 2


I went to bed hungry and ashamed, how could I let myself dance with a complete stranger; I just let him put his hands on me. I was more ashamed of how thrilled I felt, exhilarated, hot and bothered. I couldn't recall the last time I had that much fun and excitement go through me, or even the last time I danced, and he was an amazing dancer, we were in perfect sync.


Roy returned home early morning, drunk. I’m not surprised, he usually goes out right after work with his coworkers. He claims the alcohol makes it easier to sleep during the day. He slammed his money from work on the table and crashed down on the bed as I sipped my hot coffee. I usually ignore the lack of greeting but today it stings and I feel bitter. My eyes remained on the cash on the table, it looked like he spent a good portion on alcohol already, it wouldn't be enough for us to get through a week, well at least not both of us. Jimmy’s offer rang through my mind once more, I shouldn’t get wrapped up in the dangers of a speakeasy but the money motivated me and Jimmy intrigued me.


My day continued on like any other, I went down to the market for groceries, my brain racking any ideas of trying to get food to last. When I returned Roy was still passed out on the bed, his legs hanging off the side while he snored. I’ve got to get in the kitchen to make dinner to pack away for him before he wakes. My appetite was gone, my thoughts too busy fussing around the idea of going to the Green Door Tavern. I don't even know what the jobs entails. But it’s money that could make things not so difficult. I won’t have to do it forever, just need to save up some money till Roy can go back to being a welder. Okay Pam, are we doing this? We’re doing this.


Roy got up just around the time he needed to leave for work, he grumbled about his head throbbing and that he needed to go in to work early. I wasn't stupid, he was going to get a drink before work to ease his head. I remained silent as he grabbed his dinner, and left without even a kiss or goodbye. My cheek stung as I thought back to the kiss that Jimmy placed on my cheek, it was the first one I’ve had in months. I shook my mind of the thought and decided it’s time to get ready for work, I guess.


My closet was very small, maybe only a handful of outfits that I rotate through, I believe two of them were actually under two years old. My eyes ran over the pair of trousers I hide in the back, I haven't worn them since I moved here. They were a deep navy blue, that rose up beneath my breast, with wide legs that covered my feet. Rested on each side of my hip bones were three gold accented buttons. Trousers weren't frowned upon anymore, especially during the war when women were working in factories and such. I hesitantly pulled them from the closet along with a cream colored blouse. It was my favorite silk sailor blouse with short sleeves, with a drape tie in the front that started at the the low neckline. My nerves were churning as I got dressed, I haven't dressed this revealing since college, it was exciting. My hair never needed much work, I was graced with my mothers curly red hair, it hung below my shoulders sweeping across my collar bone. I applied poppy colored Besame lipstick to my lips and little to my cheeks. It was a Christmas present from my mother last year that I’m trying to make last. I quickly pulled on my coat and left the apartment, I’m afraid if I wait around too long I’ll change my mind.


I’ll probably be a bit early, but it was better than sitting around the apartment, I can get in a coffee to calm my nerves before I see Jimmy again. The streets are busier now that it’s Saturday, usually shows were going on, performances at the theaters. I hugged my coat tighter around me to keep from men calling out to me and picked up my pace a bit. The doors are propped open tonight letting the cool air into the stuffy bar, it’s packed with twice the amount of people than last night.  My eyes instantly went to the stage feeling a sting of disappointment when I saw it empty.


“You’re back,” Kevin noticed as I approached the only open spot in the place. I carefully shrugged out of my coat and draped it against the back of the chair. “You taking Jimmy up on that offer?” I was aware that some men around me had their eyes on my butt I kept my chin up.


“If he’ll have me, yes.”


“Oh, I’d love to have you baby.” A rough voice mumbled in my ear. I carefully turned myself till I was leaning back against the counter of the bar, while Jimmy towered over me, all too close to my body. He wore a deep blue plaid suit, similar to my pants, the gold chain of his pocket watch noticeable as he stood there with his hands in his pockets, he also made it no secret as his eyes ran down my body.  


“Jimmy,” I nodded.


“First order of business darling, don't call me Jimmy,” he smirked as my eyebrows knitted together. “Look at that as more of a stage name, if you will. Call me Jim.” Jim didn't suit him better. “And I never got the privilege of learning yours.”


“Pamela,” I replied. “Pam is okay.”


“Well Pam,” he murmured, as he grabbed my right hand, “I’m very glad you came back.” He lifted my hand to just a breath away from his lips. “And dressed up I see.” He placed a gentle kiss that sent shivers down my spine. I slowly looked up from my hand to see something different, just for a moment, something soft in his eyes, and then he winked at me. Ugh, I thought as I yanked my hand back just as he let out a small chuckle, “C’mon, let’s get you settled downstairs.”


I grabbed my jacket and followed Jim towards the back of the club. We headed down the iron stairs, pushing through a large metal door that opened up to what should have been a basement but by the looks of it, this was the speakeasy. Set up similar to upstairs but larger, there was a stage in the back were I noticed Jim’s band members were getting ready, down here they had booths along the wall so there was room for a large dance floor. There was bar in the back that actually looked like a bar with alcohol and liquor on shelves and various glasses. The bartender was skinny and kind of creepy looking, with red hair. He wore a white shirt with the sleeves rolled up, and buttoned over it he wore a black vest.


“What will I be doing exactly?” I asked, as we made our way up to the side of the bar.


“Waitressing, cocktailing, shot girl.” he replied, as he grabbed my coat from my arms and hung it up. “You’ll have to get rid of that,” he added, gesturing to my engagement ring on my finger. “The more you show, the more available you are, the better the tips.”


“But I’m not available.” I explained while I fumbled with the small band of metal on my finger.


“They don't know that,” he sighed, before reaching out to snatch the ring off of my finger, and quickly tucked it away into his coat ignoring my protest. “Tsk tsk. You'll thank me, now why don't we introduce you to the band.” I bit back the nasty response on my tongue and followed behind him toward the stage. “Boys this is Pam, be gentle.” The boys laughed in unison with their singer before the saxophone player stepped forward raising his hand quickly.


“Dwight Schrute.” he said, bluntly. My eyebrows knitted together as I gently placed my hand into his, I watched him as he shook it once then quickly dropped it.


“Yeah,” the drummer snickered as he pushed Dwight aside and stepped forward. “I’m Ryan nice to meet you,” he smiled, with a quick wink.


“I’m Darryl,” the darker skinned man who was holding the trumpet said, with a small nod. Next was the guitar player who stepped forward wearing a large white smile.


“Andrew Bernard, madam.” he greeted, with a sweeping bow.


“And that’s Creed.” Jim mumbled low in my ear while gesturing to the older gentleman in the corner holding a bass. “He’s.. different and we’ll leave it at that.” Jim gripped my shoulders and began to pull me away from the band members and back towards the bar. “Only job is to serve the nice people of this joint, tips are yours to keep, just keep the customer happy. Pretty simple, right?” he asked, while leaning across the counter to retrieve a black serving tray. “Just be careful some might get handsy.” he added, while placing the tray into my open hands. “Luck darling.” he said, before turning and leaving the basement abruptly.




Jim’s POV


Luck darling? What the hell was that Jim, do you suddenly not know how to act around pretty girls. But that was no pretty girl, she is the most beautiful women I have ever set my eyes on. The moment I saw her yesterday I was hooked, putting my hands on her was maybe too forward but worth the chance of touching her. Even over the skirt I could tell she was soft and delicate, my lips still burned thinking of the kiss I managed to place on her cheek last night. I’m surprised she didn't slap me. Then today she comes in wearing those pants, that just seemed to love her in all the right spots, and on her lips was a poppy colored lipstick. I couldn't help the twinge I felt in my chest as I thought back to my late grandmother, sweet Nana, she always had a beautiful garden of poppies. The way her pouty lips look in that color is really testing my control tonight. God dammit, Halpert. I stepped outside into the cold air placing a cigarette between my lips and lighting it up. Why the hell did I hire her? We don't even need a waitress. She’s going to be more trouble than this whole job is worth, Scarn will get antsy and want to meet her. Hopefully she’ll hate it and quit. I took a deep inhale letting the smoke and tobacco fill my lungs till I could feel my nerves die down. I’d be lying if I said her quitting wouldn't upset me. It’d be for the best, for sure. With another deep drag I pulled my watch out and checked the time.


“Shit,” it’s showtime. Flicking the cig down to the ground I quickly stamped it out before heading back inside. The coffee shop was now closed, all the tables empty as the real entertainment and party begins down stairs. I quickly made my way down the iron stairs, pushing the door open and entering the buzzing basement. There were about thirty to forty people already in their seats with drinks in their hands. My eyes automatically started scanning for her, she was practically glowing in the poorly lit room. She was easing her way through the room with a tray high in the air with a dozen or so drinks on it. She was a natural.


“Jimmy,” Ryan called, pulling my focus from my beautiful poppy flower. “You ready?”


“Oh yeah,” I replied, making my way to the stage I grabbed a full shot glass from a nearby table, I quickly shot it back feeling the edge die down. Rolling my shoulders back I approached my mic, pressing the cool metal to my lips. Andy was set up on a piano with the guitar strung up on his back, while Darryl, Dwight and Ryan took off with a dirty beat and Andy with a melody in the back.


“Well I’ve been living in sin for about a month. Something turn me ‘round, it’s something I just can't understand, the way I behave. Some people you can never save.” I tried my damndest to keep my eyes down but like a magnet they were attracted to a bright pair of green eyes. “In my right hand, I’ve got a girl in my ear,” I gave her a little wink, feeling thrilled as I saw a light pink reach her pale cheeks. “And in my left throwing back a beer. What can I say? Of me, you steer clear. When I driving down on Bourbon Street, yeah!” I closed my eyes and began to caress a hand down the side of the mic stand.  “Cause, every night we through this little soiree, gonna turn her head until she's mine, all mine.” My mind began to picture Pam’s perfect body lying before me on my bed, my sheets wrapped around her naked. “Every night I breed a new disaster, I might be right, I might be wrong try to get away and I will bring you right along, so!” I roughly shook my head to rid of the thought as I opened my eyes and looked over the smiling crowd. “Sit back, have a seat, sometimes salty, sometimes sweet hard to swallow, but fun to eat! You ain't never leaving Bourbon Street, come on!” I pulled away from the mic feeling that power and excitement I always felt when I perform pump through me. I was addicted to it, the thrill of performing.


“When I walk the street people step aside. Twirling my cane and smiling wide. Some would say I'm a carnal slave, I put my hands on what I crave.” Lifting my eyes I watched as Pam made her way through the crowd her hips swaying as she went. “I'm the mayor of this crazy town! Where the queens will party with the clown. Try to swim with me and you're bound to drown. Throw you a line while you're going down.” I stepped back letting my foot tap along with the rhythm before pulling the mic very close to my mouth, I lowered my voice an octave as we hit the final eerie bridge.


“Yeah, I know this street and I own this crowd, and my only companion is a lightning cloud. I seem real nice and easy to trust, ashes to ashes and dust to dust. I'm gonna lead you a path to self destruct. On this crazy train that I conduct.” I took a last deep breath my eyes boring holes into the back of Pam’s head as she laughed it up with Kevin. “And it's a one, two, three! Cuz’ every night we through this little soiree. Gonna turn her head until she’s mine, all mine. Every night I breed a new disaster I might be right, I might be wrong. Try to get away and I will bring you right along, so! Sit back, have a seat. Sometimes salty, sometimes sweet, hard to swallow, but fun to eat. You ain’t never leaving Bourbon Street!” There was only a beat of silence before the room erupted into applause. I released the mic from my vice like grip giving a small nod to the crowd, while turning back to the band and applauding them they do most of the work anyway. Hoping down from the stage I began to maneuver myself through the crowd, various hands clapping me on the back as I passed. My eyes were glued to their target, the gorgeous server leaning over the bar, brushing her over her shoulder revealing soft skin that was begging to be kissed.


“Looks like your fitting right in.” I said, as I stuck myself between her and a drunk sailor. I gave Kevin a quick nod sending him off to put me together a drink.


“Not that hard of a gig,” she replied, before she nodded towards the stage. “You really seem to enjoy that.” Kevin returned with my regular drink of choice, an Old Fashioned.


“I do.” I answered, before taking a big and bitter gulp.


“So why don't you pursue it?” she asked, her voice sounding of intrigue.


“I wouldn't enjoy it if I got paid for it.”


“You don't get paid for that?” Oh so naive, she hasn't pieced it together.


“Sweetheart, I own the place.” Technically. Scarn owns it I run it.


“Oh.” She replied, her eyebrows still knitting together with confusion. “Then how do you make money?”


“Don't ask questions you don't want to know the answer to.” I smirked. “Don't you have tables to check?” Anger immediately covered her curious face as she turned on her toes and marched off to a table. My eyes glued to her as usual.


“Are you always a dick to beautiful women?” Kevin asked me, as he polished a glass.


“She doesn't want to get mixed up with me Kev. You know that.” I mumbled, before swallowing the rest of my drink.


“Maybe she can get you out,” he added.


“No one can get  me out.”


Chapter End Notes:

Hope you guys enjoyed please leave a comment or jelly bean tell me how you feel! 

The song is Bourbon Street by Jeff Touhy very good raspy voice :) 


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans