- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I was quite proud of myself when I thought up this day's note. Hope you like it too.

“Hey, ready for lunch?”

“You bet, let me switch the phones.”

Pam set the phone to voicemail before standing up to join Jim in walking towards the kitchen. They collected their lunches and made their way into the break room and claimed spots at the far table. Jim bought the last two cans of Coke from the machine and set them on the table as he sat down next to her. They spent the lunch hour working on the logistics for some new pranks. Pam also tried to wheedle who Jim had for office Secret Santa. She drained the last of her soda and turned, what Jim called her, puppy dog eyes on him.

“Please Jim,” she let out with a hint of a pouty lip. “I promise I won’t tell.”

“You’ll find out tomorrow. Besides weren't you the one who said it’s the anticipation that makes the game that much more fun?”

“I didn’t say that!” She lightly swatted his arm for good measure.

Jim just laughed at her and downed the last of his drink too. They were so caught up with their conversation that they didn’t realize Andy had wandered in until he spoke to them.

“Milady, m’Tuna,” He bowed slightly without turning to directly face them. “You guys know if we’re out of any of the soft type drinks today?”

“Coke,” they said together.

Pam realized at once what had happened, but she was a tad slower off the mark than Jim.

“Jinx!” he beamed right at her.

Her eyes shot up in alarm and surprise. Jim’s own face carried a look of delighted glee. Andy hadn’t noticed anything as he was still staring at the vending machine.

“So, what do we have left then?”

“Looks like grape, a personal favorite of mine, orange, regular or diet root beer, or water,” Jim said as he looked over the choices. He then turned back to Pam. “Which do you recommend?”

Pam’s eyes and mouth cocked in annoyed expression Jim knew well. Really, her face screamed. Quickly she stood up and pointed to the root beer button for Andy. Collecting her garbage, she ducked out of the breakroom and headed for her desk.

She’d just finished sending of a text message when Jim arrived and leaned over to pluck a few jellybeans from the dish. She’d opened a new game of Free Cell and was busy arranging cards.

“So, here’s what I’m thinking,” Jim said as he popped a buttered popcorn candy in his mouth. “It’s been a while since we’ve had a refresher course on how to use the copier.”

Pam glanced up at him with her eyebrow still cocked but then turned back to her game.

Jim went on. “After all we’ve had that thing here for years and there only seems to be one person who can tame the foul beast that it is.”

She didn’t even look up at him when he paused.

“So, what do you think? Should I have Michael call a meeting so you can teach us how to unjam the thing or replace the toner. I know I for one, am still unsure on how to get the collate function to work.”

The cards on her screen fell into place causing the chain reaction she loved so much. As her score tallied Pam reached for her pad of sticky notes and a pen. She quickly sketched a stick figure falling through what was clearly thin ice. The stick figure in question also happened to be wearing a shirt that read, ‘Jim,’ across the front. Peeling off the note she rose up and slapped it on his tie.

“Wonderful representation Beesly,” Jim nodded approvingly after he peeled the note off and looked at it. “I shall add this to my growing collection of your artwork. Years from now I’ll be able to say, ‘I knew her when.’”

The buzzing of Pam’s phone distracted her for a moment. Flipping it open she read the text and replied with a simple, ‘yes.’”

Jim noticed at once. “’Yes?’ Yes to what?”

Pam was saved from trying to answer with the opening of the door. Her face lit up with anticipation at the sight of her sister walking up to her desk.

“Pam!” Penny beamed and returned the hug Pam gave her as she approached. “Hi Jim,” she said after she released her sister.

“Hey Penny. What brings you here?”

“This.” Penny dug into her purse and produced a red and white can of Coke which she happily placed on the reception counter.

Pam already had her dollar bill out and handed it over to her sister. She took the can and grinned just a little to sweetly at Jim as she held it out to him.

“Wait a minute,” he backed up a half step. “This wasn’t in the rules.”

“Oh Jim,” Penny shook her head at him. “You have so much to learn.”

Pam nodded sagely. Jim still hadn’t taken the can so she set it on the counter and gave it a couple taps in his direction. As she knew it would, the gesture trigged a fond memory for both of them. Jim’s wary expression faded and he took hold of the can at last.

“You two will have to educate me then,” he said and cracked the can of soda.

What he didn’t know, and what both Pam and Penny did know was that it would be a good idea to step back from that particular can of Coca-Cola. Penny had received Pam’s ‘yes’ text and had vigorously shaken the can just prior to her arrival. The sticky soda exploded from the can and sprayed all over Jim. He jumped back with a shout of surprise but kept the can in his hand.

Pam and Penny dissolved into laughter that instantly had every eye in the office turn their way. Jim joined their laughter and wiped drops of Coke off his hands. After explaining the slight kerfuffle to Michael, the sisters graciously offered to help Jim clean up the mess. Penny bid them goodbye with a promise to catch up over the weekend at the Beesly family holiday party. Pam walked her sister down to her car and waved good-bye. When she returned to her desk, the empty Coke can was resting next to her pad of sticky notes. A white envelope sat propped up by both. In addition to the usual greeting on the outside of the card, a yellow sticky note also adorned the envelope.

On the Eighth day of Christmas my office gave to me
‘You definitely earned this one today Beesly’

Pam’s laughter returned full force as she pulled out the newest card. In the background of the card a wooden barn stood to one side. A paddock filled the rest of the space. Arranged throughout the paddock were eight photoshopped images of Dwight’s cousin sitting on a stool next to a selection of goats. Each image also had a bucket next to it that Mose was filling with goat milk.

Eight Moses milking
Seven swans a-melting
Six geese a-flopping
Five teal teapots
Four calling phones
Three pointless meetings
Two Olympic doves
And a Dundie in a paper tree

She carried the card over to Jim’s desk and leaned herself against it. Jim cast a wary but bemused eye at her.

“Truce?” she asked

“Truce,” Jim agreed.

Pam smiled down at him. “Oh good. While it’s fun to mess with you from time to time, I think we do our best work when we’re a team rather than opponents.”

“I fully agree. Have something in mind?”

Pam’s grin widened and she leaned down to whisper in Jim’s ear. His eyebrows raised in delight as he listened to her. His imagination kicked into overdrive at Pam’s suggestions for activities once they were back at his place once the work day ended.

Chapter End Notes:
Reviews welcome as always.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans