- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Based of a deleted scene from “The Client” where Jim describes how his best first date was also his worst first date because he found out she was in love with someone else.
Maybe it was because she forgot her lunch in Roy’s truck and it was probably old and spoiled by now.

Maybe it was because she saw Kevin walk out of the bathroom after being in there for at least half an hour and she didn’t want to sit in the kitchen near the bathrooms to eat. She made that mistake once and once was enough.

Or maybe it was because when he sat down for his second day at Dunder Mifflin earlier that morning, he looked up from his desk and flashed a smile at her that made the cold February morning seem just a little bit warmer.

Whatever the reason, she had just agreed to get lunch at Cugino’s with the company’s newest hire, Jim Halpert.

She called Roy to give him a reason she wouldn’t be in the office during lunch, something about Michael’s new policy of needing her to welcome the new employees and take them to lunch. She knew it was a lie but there was something in Jim’s smile that made it feel excusable.

Jim stood up from his seat, rolled his sleeves to his elbows, and grabbed his coat. He pointed to her.

“You ready? I can drive.”

She eagerly stood and followed him out of the office while trying to push down the mounting excitement rising in her chest. She was engaged and this was just a friendly lunch.

It was on the drive that she found herself fiddling with her hands and realized she wasn’t wearing her engagement ring. She had no idea where it was. She had only had it a couple of weeks and she already lost it. Wonderful.

Her initial thought was that Roy would be furious. Closely following that thought, she realized she was about to go to lunch alone with a guy who had no idea she was engaged. And after that thought, she asked herself why it even mattered. He was just being friendly and besides, even if she wasn’t engaged, guys like him probably wouldn't be interested in girls like her anyway.

The two ordered, ate, and paid (Jim’s treat) without any lull in conversation.

“So,” Jim said. ”I have a question for you.”
“Okay,” she answered, once again fiddling with her left ring finger.
“Dwight, is he—“
“Always like that? Probably some part of an underground cult? Extremely easy to mess with? Yes.”
“Wow,” his eyes widened as he smiled. “I was going to ask if he was really the top salesman, but all those things are great to know.”

Pam chuckled. “He’s not all that bad. I mean, I haven’t been there that long and he’s definitely...different. But he can have his moments.”

Jim put his elbow on the table and propped his chin on his hand, a look of mock intrigue on his face. “Oh really, like what?”

“Well, for starters...once he...no...give me a minute...he…”

“That’s what I thought,” Jim said with a laugh. “You seem like the type that can find the good in everyone, though. I admire that.”

The way his head was tilted, the way his smile perfectly tugged at the corner of his mouth, the way he looked at her like he actually saw her after only knowing her a few hours, gave her a feeling deep in her stomach that eventually sent a signal to her brain, reminding her she was engaged and hadn’t even mentioned Roy yet.

“I do my fair share of complaining about people,” she shrugged, “just ask my fiancé.” She shot a fleeting glance upward.

He covered it well, but she clocked the exact moment his face fell. She felt a pang of disappointment herself before swallowing it down.

“Oh!” The forced enthusiasm in Jim’s voice was apparent. He held his left hand up and pointed to it. “I didn’t see a ring, otherwise I would have said something. Asked you about him or...something.”

“No, yeah...I actually think I lost it this morning somewhere. Hopefully it's just in the shower or by the sink or something.”

He squinted at her. “How do I know you don’t say that to all the guys to get a free meal out of them with no strings attached?” He winked. “I’m joking, Pam!” He must have seen the worry in her brow. “You seem like one of the only sane people in the office so I was happy to get to know a new friend a little better. Can I call you my friend? Even though I don’t even know your last name?”

She let out a breath she didn’t realize she was holding in and smiled. “Of course you can. And it’s Beesly.”


“Good, because I have this idea, Beesly. I’m going to need an accomplice. And a couple boxes of Jello…”
Chapter End Notes:
I know timeline is a little fuzzy around this time, so I may have taken a few liberties. Hopefully it works!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans