- Text Size +
“I think Dwight misses you,” Jim smirked. “He keeps looking longingly up toward your desk.”

Pam took a bite of her lunch and squinted. “Are you sure that isn’t you who is doing that?”

“Oh, it’s definitely me,” he admitted. “But Dwight really has been complaining about how Ronnie makes his copies.”

The two of them were sitting on the couch in Pam’s room at Pratt, her legs crossed and draped over Jim’s lap. She put her plate down on the floor and crossed her arms against her chest.

“Well, lucky for Dwight, we only have 10 more weeks separating him from properly copied documents.”

Jim ran his right hand up her thigh and looked at her alluringly. Pam knew that look. He was about to say something completely ridiculous but it would still 100% work and she would inevitably have her way with him.

“I’ll properly copy YOUR documents…” he said gruffly.

She threw her head back in laughter. “What the hell does that even mean?”

Jim put his plate on the side table and slinked up over top of her, kissing his way up her neck as she giggled and squirmed playfully beneath him.

“No idea…” he said against the soft spot under her ear. “But I’m going to do it.”

She threw her arms around his neck and succumbed to his kisses, happily. He made this tiny little dorm room feel like home, just by simply being in it. It was the happiest she had been in the two weeks they had been apart.

That was, until 10 minutes later when she felt a sudden wave of intense nausea and urgently pushed Jim off of her. She doubled over and ran into the bathroom, where she promptly lost her lunch. Jim was right behind her, holding her hair back and tracing small circles over her back with his palm. She rested her hand on her arm that she had draped over the toilet seat.

“Well, that was sudden,” Jim said sympathetically. ”I mean, I know I don’t have game, but I didn’t think I was that bad.”

He took a seat next to her as she leaned back against the bathtub and she rested her head against his shoulder. “First of all, you have no idea how much game you have. Second of all, I’m so sorry.”

“Are you kidding,” he said tenderly, putting a hand on her knee, “don’t be sorry for this. You okay?”

She gave a small nod, feeling terrible that his first weekend visiting her in New York started out this way.

“Here,” Jim responded, “let’s get you in bed.”

He helped her up off the floor and she let out a sad laugh. “Bet you thought that phrase would mean something a little different this weekend, huh?”

He led her into her room, onto her bed, and pulled the covers over her. “I’d be lying if I said no, but I will take you absolutely any way I can get you, Beesly.” He looked at her with a sweetness and sincerity in his eyes that made a lump form in her throat. He kissed her temple. “I’ve missed you.”

She frowned. “I’ve missed you too. Like, a lot.”

He brushed a curl out of her face. “I’ll go grab you some water.”

When he came back to the room she patted the empty spot next to her on the bed. “Lay with me?”

A small smile hit his lips as he slipped off his shoes. He squeezed his long frame between Pam and the wall and snaked his arm around her waist, his face buried in her hair. “I love you, Beesly. And you know I mean that because I just saw you barf and I’m still completely enamored by you.”

She closed her eyes. “My Prince Charming,” she chuckled. “Luckily, I feel a lot better. A little off, but not queasy anymore. Just a weird freak puking episode, maybe?”

He pulled his head off the pillow. “Wait, are you...could you be...pregnant?”

She immediately shook her head. “No, I just finished my period yesterday.”

“Okay, rules that out then,” he said cooly, laying his head back down.

Pam flipped around to face him. “Hold up, Halpert, that wouldn’t have freaked you out? If I was?”

“I mean, the timing wouldn’t have been ideal,” he shrugged. “But Pam…” he slid his fingers through hers and kissed the back of her hand. “The thought of you giving me little curly-haired Halperts is the absolute leastscary thought for me. Quite the opposite, actually.”

She buried her head in his chest as she felt tears spring to her eyes. “Someday.” She looked up and met his gaze. “Promise.”

He hugged her closer and kissed her forehead, running his hands through her hair.

“I’m holding you to that, Beesly.”

They both began to fall into sleep, legs and bodies intertwined. As she was drifting off, Pam couldn’t help but think that in all the years she had been with Roy, she could never fully picture their future family and she often strained to see Roy as a father. Just like so many other things about their relationship, she had convinced herself that’s just the way things were.

Thankfully, a lanky paper salesman walked into her life and showed her that she was worth more than what she had settled for. As she looked at Jim’s face, now relaxed with sleep, she settled into him and basked in the surety she felt. They weren’t even engaged, but she still saw Jim coaching little league and singing to the radio as he drove their kids to art lessons. She saw him sitting on their couch on Christmas morning, puffy sleep-filled eyes and disheveled hair, watching while their kids sent wrapping paper flying. She pictured a tiny baby being protected in his long, strong arms, promising them safety and comfort, and eventually teaching them the art of the perfect prank.

She gently stroked his stubbly cheek. It may have taken them years to get where they were, potholes and roadblocks lining the road they took, but she would do it a million times over in order to have the chance to choose Jim Halpert over and over and over again.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans