- Text Size +

The preparatory Imperial Academies were hard.  Most definitely difficult.  But nothing was in comparison to the course load at the Royal Academy of Coruscant.  


Pam noticed that the welcoming nature of the first day was gone by the first minute of day two.  Science, mathematics, physical training, piloting, mental training, and many more challenging tests competed with students’ own thoughts for domination of the students’ time.  Slacking off was not even a concept for Pam and many of the other students.  Free time?  That was called meal time and listening to the Chalice and Alter, and even then that was studying for the Core Worlds Culture Class.  By the time Pam finished that class, she had learned to hate Igern, once a childhood favorite of Pam’s, for composing that song.  


She was just grateful that she had managed to dodge the Large Vessel Design class.  She had heard the horror stories from Jim and though she wanted to be in the Imperial Navy, she was not too fond of the prospect of having to learn every single detail of the schematics of an Imperial II-class Star Destroyer.  


The brutality of the coursework came as a glaring realization as she flopped down on her bed.  She was exhausted.  She hadn’t gotten a proper full night’s sleep in 5 months, 2 nights before she started at the Academy.  


A few moments after she had landed on her bed, Tydie walked in.  “Hey.”  A simple greeting left Pam’s tired mouth.  


Her roommate grinned.  “Wow, someone’s tired.  What is it?  Are you sore from you know who?”  


Pam’s eyes widened.  “What?  Of course not.  Eww.  No.  Just no.  Why would you even say that?”  


Tydie smirked and shrugged as she climbed into her own bunk.  As Pam turned her side to snuggle into her bunk, an annoyingly loud buzzing noise came from her pocket.  Ugh.  Who could be calling her at this hour?  


Above her, Tydie sighed.  “Can you freaking answer that thing?  Some of us are trying to sleep.”  


Pam rolled her eyes.  “I know, I know, I know.”  


She grabbed her holoprojector from her side pocket and flipped it open.  Her eyes widened as an holographic image of her mother crystallized.  “Mother?”  


Her mother smiled faintly.  “Pamela.  How have you been, my dear?”  


“I’ve been good, busy but good.”  Pam smiled.  


Her mother laughed.  “Well that’s good.  I just wanted to check in on you.  I worry about you.  You are just one girl in the wide world of Coruscant after all.  Nevertheless, it would be better than being here right now.”  


Pam’s smile faded, as concern began to appear on her creases.  “What?  Why?  What’s going on?”  


Her mother waved her off,  “Oh, nothing too bad.  Your sister has just been getting in a lot of trouble at school and the environment at home isn’t too pleasant to say the least.”  


“Oh, well that’s unfortunate.  Let me know if you ever need anything and I can try to take a leave of absence.”  


Her mother scoffed.  “Honey, your focus should be on the academy right now.  Don’t you worry about us.”  


Pam shrugged.  “Mother,  my first priority will always be you guys.  Family is more important.”





“Family is more important.”  


Commandment Deenlark scowled.  “She said that?”  


“Yes sir.”  


Deenlark’s scowl remained even while he gave a toothy grin.  “Thank you for this information Cadet.”  Confusion appeared on his face as he asked, “What was your name again?”  


“Leb.  Tydie Leb, sir.”  


“Well thank you Cadet Leb.  Your loyalty is noted.”  


Once the cadet walked out, Deenlark turned to Lieutenant Raxur.  “This is an unfortunate turn of events.”  


“Certainly.  Beesly was one of the top students of the class”, Raxur agreed.  


“Yes, but I can’t say I am surprised.  I heard rumors of her constant contact with her mother.  I had merely thought of them as mere flimsy rumors.  But now that we have heard this, we must tread carefully.  The power of her father is something we cannot underestimate.”  


Raxur gave his agreement with a nod.  Deenlark sat quietly and schemed and finally came up with a plan.  “I believe that there is a test in order for Pamela Beesly to really prove where her loyalties lie.”





She liked Pam.  She truly did.  She was kind, funny, and a good roommate.  But, at the Imperial Academy no one is truly friends.  The Academy is competitive.  Like really competitive.  Having friends in high places is far more useful than being friends with another cadet.  And apparently Commandant Deenlark had sent many cadets on a fast track to promotion when given “helpful” information.  At least that’s what Kelly and Idonia said.  


She didn’t enjoy betraying Pam, but a girl's gotta do what she’s gotta do to succeed.  Pam would understand.  She’s one of the top students in the class, so she probably already knows of these tactics.  And she would never know that Deenlark found out from her.  What was the worst he could do?  It’s not like he could kick her out of the academy or anything.  Right?





The sheer power of the Lambda-class shuttle’s wings practically tore the roof off as it landed right before the oak doorstep, incinerating the carefully crafted yard that had taken many workers to perfect.  Five stormtroopers, with their terrifying white mirroring armor, stomped out.  As they trudged through the yard's ashes carelessly, a man dressed in all grey, donned with a command cap came striding out.  His face was of stone.  No emotion, no sympathy, and certainly no remorse for the game he was about to unleash.

Chapter End Notes:
Sorry for the wait, I had a funeral to take care of and this story fell to the side for a couple of weeks.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans