- Text Size +

The Day After Christmas

“Ladies and gentlemen,” Michael announces as he exists his office, getting everyone’s attention, “It appears that another one of our own is leaving the flock.”  Jim raises his eyebrow.  “Karen Filipelli,” he gestures to her, “has decided to transfer yet again to Utica, New York and will take over as Regional Manager after the last one’s misuse of company property… to call a certain service.”

“What kind of service, Michael?” Jim asks with a knowing smile.

“Of the escort variety.”  Jim’s eyes widen while Pam tries not to keel over.  “Let’s give her a hand, everybody!”  Everyone applauds her achievement, Dwight and Andy the loudest.

“Thanks everyone,” Karen smiles genuinely.

Michael decides to do this: “Speech!  Speech!  Speech!”
“Speech!  Speech!  Speech!  Speech!—”
“Speech!  Speech!  Speech!  Speech!—”

“Okay, shutup!” Michael shuts Dwight and Andy down, “Karen… the floor is yours.”

“Alright,” she shrugs, feeling no more awkward than usual.  She stands up and faces the office.  “I just wanted to thank everyone here.  I know I haven’t gotten to know you guys for very long but um, please know it has nothing to do with you.  This is just an opportunity I can’t pass up.”

“Understandable,” Dwight nods.

“Indeed,” Andy nods as well.

“Thank you guys again, and Andy?  Still up for Call of Duty co-op?”

“Yes ma’am!” Andy raises his fist.

“Alright,” Michael decides to drape her arm around Karen, who purses her lips, feeling uncomfortable, “I’ll give you guys some time to say your goodbyes.”

Karen receives (mostly) warm goodbyes from her coworkers.  She gets Kelly’s number, Phyllis’ perfume, an all-too-firm handshake from Dwight, and some evidence-ladened gloves from Creed that she’ll burn later.

But there were two more people who needed to say goodbye.

“I forgot to ask, how was your Christmas?” Jim asks walking up to her.

“Oh it was… actually really good.”

“Nice!”

“Yeah, went back to Stamford to visit family.  It was fun.”

“Great.”

“Yours?”

“Oh, it was,” he awkwardly turns to Reception, then back at her, “it was great.”

She peers back then faces him, giving a sad smile, “Good.”

They both lean in for a hug.  “Don’t be a stranger,” he tells her.

“I won’t,” she promises.  After they part and exchange small smiles, she walks with her box of items towards Reception.

Pam looks up at her, “Do you need any help?”

“Nah, I got everything,” Karen reassures, “Thanks for a kickass Christmas party.”

“I should be thanking you,” Pam tells her, “And, um, keep in touch, okay?”

Karen nods, “Certainly.  And Pam?”

“Yeah?”

She looks around and leans in, “If he hurts you again, I’ll kick his ass.”  Pam responds with a laugh.  “Thanks again.  For everything.”

“Of course.”

Karen turns to face the rest of the office, “Goodbye, everyone!”  The rest of the employees echo it back to her.

“Karen Filipelli, everybody!” he starts to clap and gets everyone to join in as she awkwardly smiles and departs Dunder Mifflin Scranton forever.

Jim and Pam look at each other, happy that Karen is getting the life she deserves.

“Al…right, no rest for the wicked,” Michael pats Ryan shoulder, who subtly rolls his eyes, “Let’s get back to work.”

Some time later, as Jim munches on his baby carrots, he sees her walk in, “Hey.”

“Hi,” she looks downtrodden as she sits next to him.

“How’d it go?”

“Well, he was angry, of course, but he thankfully didn’t make a show of it.”

“Does he want me dead?”

She smiles at that, “No, not anymore.  Not after what I said.”

“What did you say?”

“You were right about being honest, that’s why I wanted to tell him, to begin with.  So I told him the truth about how he made me feel and he…”

“He what?”

“He’s quitting.”

His eyes widen, “Oh.”

“I didn’t mean for him to go this far.”

“Hey, this is his choice at the end of the day,” he comforts, “You can’t help that.”

“Yeah, but he’s still important to me.”

“Look, you’ve done everything—”

“Hey, Halpert!”

They turn to find Roy, his face wearing an unreadable expression.

Jim and Pam look at each other, then back at him.  “Hey,” is all he can bring himself to say.

Roy’s face softens, “Be good to her, alright?”

Jim nods in understanding, “I will.”

Roy walks over to him and gives him a powerful handshake, which Jim reciprocates.  He looks at Pam, his face growing a smile, “See ya around, Pammy.”

She starts to smile back, “See you, Roy.”

All three exchange smiles before he walks to Toby’s desk.

They turn back around and he puts his arm around her shoulders the moment he notices her eyes watering.  She turns to him and they beam at each other.


“Alright, for you sir, a pound of steak with rib-eye and grilled chicken,” the waitress carefully lowers the heavy plate to Dwight.

“Thank you, ma’am.”

“And for you, miss, a single bowl of kale.”

“Thank you,” Angela says quietly with a small smile.

“Alright, enjoy!” the waitress is off.

After Angela says a quick prayer to herself, she looks up to see Dwight monstrously digging in, “Dwight!” she chastises, getting his attention, “We are in public.  Please, slow down.”

He pauses, “Sorry,” he says with meat still in his mouth.

She sighs, “All is forgiven,” she grabs her fork and starts to eat.

“God,” Dwight starts, “Did you see that idiot cheer along with me?”

She rolls her eyes, “Don’t remind me.  I already have to share a desk clump with him.”

“I’d never thought I’d see a pathetic slacker with a bad haircut worse than Jim, but there you go.”

“Hold on,” she looks to her left.

“What?”

“Ninety degrees to your right.”  Dwight turns and spots them from afar.

Jim and Pam.

Jim looks practically the same rather than wearing a more pressed suit.  Pam has on a blue dress and make-up, her hair having more volume and not nearly as frizzy.

“Speak of the devil,” Dwight shakes his head.

The couple turn to face each other again.  “Did you see Pam?” Angela starts in exasperation.

“Yeah, I think she could do better,” Dwight takes a bite of his steak.

“I can only imagine what Jim actually sees in that… hussy.”

“Yeah, I think he could do better,” he starts carving his steak once again.

“I mean, who dresses like that and doesn’t seek attention from other men?”

“To be fair, she did get out of a relationship that was less than ideal.”

“And that justifies dressing like a whore in the middle of a restaurant?”

“I’m just saying, this is her idea of liberation.  After looking demure and unassuming in the office all day, one can imagine the freedom she’s experiencing right now.”

She looks back at Pam, “I guess you’re right,” she concedes as she stabs her kale, “As long as she doesn’t dress like that in the office.”

“Eh, I doubt she will,” he gets started on the ribs, pouring some A1 on them, “Knowing they never brought it up in the office, they plan to keep it a secret.  You and I certainly have experience with that.”

She nods, “Indeed.”

“It’s funny,” he shakes his head, amused, “As infuriating as I find them, I can’t help but feel sort of happy for them.”

“And why is that?”

He looks at her meaningfully, “Because they’ll have what we have.”

Dwight and Angela exchange smiles that they only express to each other.

Chapter End Notes:

Heppi Crisms
(Also, I know this is pretty similar to my last work, I think I’m done with S3 outside the Only You material.)



3vasectomies is the author of 18 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Baby Please Come Home also liked 998 other stories.
This story is part of the series, Possible Scenarios. The previous story in the series is Nothing More Than That. The next story in the series is The Slap.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans