- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Originally posted 31 October, 2022

Happy Halloween!  Here’s something not remotely Halloween related.

Jim, surprisingly, enjoys his new job.

He’s moved to the annex, in a new office where Kelly and Ryan’s cubicles used to be.  Though he misses his wife by his side, the fact that she finds any excuse to be with him is enough for the both of them.

His new role isn’t as glamorous as Athlead and it doesn’t pay nearly as well.  But he still got quite the pay raise and is working in a field he’s interested in, even if it’s to sell the most boring thing imaginable.  He works alongside a reputable team to help beef up Dunder Mifflin’s advertising, and despite how disorganized it might be right now, he’s up for the challenge.  He’s actually engaged and cares about his work.

And, not even three days into the job, some BS has to start.

David has made mistakes in the past, but having Dwight recruit Jim’s replacement really takes the cake.  It makes sense in that Dwight is the top-performing salesman of the company, but he’s also far too biased.  And a weirdo.  He just had to invite a whole gaggle of his weirdo friends to interview for the job; the fear (and stench) is so powerful that Pam had to step outside to work on her mural.

Inevitably, much to everyone’s relief, Clark got the job, at the expense of Dwight losing all his friends.  Pam always has a way to make him feel better, which — unfortunately — nearly kills Clark.

“No, it does matter who ends up sitting next to Pam,” Jim explains to the crew, “The people around you are basically who you end up spending your life with.  I mean, because of where my desk was, I spent all those years looking at Pam, and I fell in love.  So, that stuff matters.  Definitely does.”

Brian couldn’t agree more.


“That’s such bull.”

Jim and Pam are now at home, discussing Brian’s altercation with Frank.

“I know, right?”

“What was he supposed to do, just watch you get beaten up by that jerk?”

“Yeah, he saved my life.”

“God…” Jim shakes his head, “I have to call and thank him.”

“I know he’d appreciate that.”

He gets up from the couch to call Brian.  He doesn’t pick up, Jim figured as such, so he left him a short message, thanking him for what he did for Pam in that situation.

A situation, Jim feels, he should have fixed instead.

Today was his first day trip to New York, and though he’s excited about what’s to come, he can’t help but remember when he was with Doctor J while Pam was stuck at home with mayonnaise in her hair, having to console a bald Meredith.

After the call, he comes back and wraps his arm around her, “Again, I’m really sorry I wasn’t there to help.”

She can tell that Jim’s still guilty for everything that’s happened, that he wants to take it all back and be the great father and husband he already is.

“Jim, you were at a meeting,” she reassures him, “An important meeting.  I completely understand.”

“Thank you.  I just… I want you to know that I’m here now.”

She cups his cheek and gives him a tender kiss, “I know you are, baby,” she smiles supportively, “so don’t let this one time get to you, okay?”

“…Okay,” he decides to let it go, “By the way, tell Dwight that I absolutely love the penis he painted.”

“Actually, that was me,” she says with pride.

“No way,” he nearly dies of laughter, “Beesly!  Oh, my God!”

She laughs alongside him.


“At least my crying won’t get you fired.”

Jim can’t let that go.

What if Pam didn’t call him that night?  Would she have confided in Brian?  Would he even know that she cried, or would she have hid it like she did everything else?  Would Brian have told him or just kept it to himself?  Why did she never tell him that Brian asked her if she was okay?  Why did Brian never call him to tell him that Pam was crying?  Brian’s their closest friend out of all the crew members, surely he would’ve said something if she didn’t call, right?

He lets this barrage of hypotheticals keep hitting him on the way back to work, Pam equally as on-edge from the lunch.  They stopped talking to each other for the rest of the workday.

It’s 5:05.  “Ready to go?” he asks her.

“Yeah.”

He hands her a bag, “Happy Valentine’s Day.  Sorry, I didn’t have time to wrap it.”

She pulls out one of her sketches from her time at Pratt, neatly framed.  “Wow.  I didn’t know you kept this.”

“Yeah, yeah.”

She gives him a small smile and embraces him, “Thank you.”

He hugs her back, almost for dear life, “No problem.”

As they pull apart, “What if we just forget about today and enjoy our bottle of wine?” she offers.

“I’d love that,” he says, “but do you mind if we talk before then?  You know, after today?”

Her face falls, “We need to, don’t we?”

He simply nods.

She sighs, “Okay,” they walk out of the office, “Thanks again for the present, I love it.”  Her smile comes back.

So does his, “I’m glad.”  He puts his arm around her as they head to the elevator.

They don’t need to fight anymore, all they need to do is talk.


[“So let me get this straight,”] David asks Andy over the phone, [“You hired a marketing consultant for your branch despite knowing full well that we already have a company-wide marketing team?”]

“Yes, I did.”

[“Why?”]

“…I just felt that—”

[“You know what?  Nevermind.  I don’t need to know why.  Just don’t do it again.”]

“David, have you ever had your heart ripped out of your own rib cage?”

[“…What does that have to do with anything?”]

“Because if you knew half the pain I went through, then you’ll fully understand why I hired that consultant.”

[“Thin ice.”] *click*

Andy just sighs dramatically, and then notices Jim walk in.

“Hey Tuna!” Andy gets his attention, “Thanks for ratting me out to Wallace.”

Jim’s already done, “No Andy, I should be thanking you for making my job harder.  In fact, you should be lucky that I never mentioned to David that the only reason you hired that consultant was because she’s Plop’s ex.”

“Jim—”

“I also never mentioned that you hired and fired Gabe in the span of five hours because he’s Erin’s ex.”

“Look, I understand your frustration,” Andy says, “However, you must understand that Plop is an asshole”
“Andy.”
“who stole the love of my life.”

Jim shakes his head, “Andy… you can’t make her love you.”  With that, he departs to his office, leaving Andy some time to think.

Throughout the day, Pete avoids Andy while Erin just glares at him.


The following weeks were filled with poisoned cupcakes, documentary promos, broken elevators, and paper airplanes.  As time goes by, the Halperts manage to find their footing, and they’ve now become fully themselves again.  Even Jim’s packed schedule never deterred them from focusing on each other.  Everything’s back to the way they should be.  Everything’s perfect.  That is, until…

“DWIGHT SCHRUTE… IS… MANAGER!!!”

Well, now they’re even more perfect.

But then Pam hears about Athlead’s buyout, and it makes her question everything.  She hates that this doubt has taken root in her mind again, because it’s pointless.  He’s happy in Scranton, he’s happy working here, he’s happy.  That’s all that matters.  But… he could be happier.  He could be building a business with all his friends, he could be working with his childhood heroes, he could be in the epicenter of dream job, his baby.  They’re going to make millions of dollars off of his idea.  But instead he’s here, trying to promote paper because that’s all he knows.  That’s all he’s ever known.

Is this really enough?

Is she really enough?


“You are… everything.”

She gets up and embraces him, thanking him, not just for the video and the card, but for everything.

He hugs her back, just as thankful.


A full year passes and, after an absolute whirlwind of a wedding day, the Halperts finally return home (or rather their “old” home) and get ready for bed.

“So, what kind of cake will Dwight be giving you on Monday?” Jim asks, getting under the covers.

“I dunno,” Pam answers, “Hopefully nothing beet-flavored.”

“Hey, at least you’re getting cake.  All I’m getting is a recommendation.”

“You can always ask David for a cake.”

“Nah, he’s busy enough as it is.  Dwight’s still Scranton’s manager, after all.”

She chuckles, “You joke, but you will miss him.”

“Yeah, I will,” after turning off his bedside lamp, he wraps his arm around her as she holds onto him.

“Are you scared?” she whispers.

“Scared of what?” he whispers back.

“Of moving.”

“I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t,” he thinks out loud, “But look at what we’ve gone through before.  If we managed to survive all of that,” he shrugs, “this won’t be any different.”

“You’re right,” she nods.

“And think of it this way: once the culture shock dies down and we get situated, we get to pursue our passions.”

“You mean our dreams?”

“No, I don’t,” he clarifies with a bright smile, “I already have my dream right here.”

It’s the cheesiest thing he’s ever said, and she kicks herself for wanting to cry.  “I already have mine, too,” she returns, smiling back at him.

After a kiss and an exchange of “I love you”s, they finally get to sleep, excitedly awaiting what tomorrow will bring.



3vasectomies is the author of 18 other stories.

This story is part of the series, Possible Scenarios. The previous story in the series is Advertising Director Jim Halpert. The next story in the series is Perceptive.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans