- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

In my version, Pam's family lives in Scranton.

Pam's pov. 

Pam sits and stares at the activity going on around her. People have gone back to business as usual. A few seconds later Phyllis brings her a cup of water and sits next to her.

'Here you go honey. Just take small sips.'

Pam takes the cup offered her and just stares at it. 'Thanks Phyllis.'

'Are you okay dear?'

Pam sniffs a little. 'My dad just died.'

Phyllis gasps. 'Oh no. Oh dear, I am so sorry. I figured it had to be something like that.'

Pam finally takes a sip of water and Phyllis pats her hand. 'Good thing Jim was there. You just crumpled and would've hit the floor hard for sure.'

'Yeah.'

Phyllis looks at Michael's closed door and sees Jim leaning over Michael's desk talking to him. 'That young man is something else. He sure cares a lot about you.' 

'He's dating Karen.'

'I know dear. But, i also know that he's never looked at her the way he looks at you.'

   Pam takes another sip and looks over to Karen's desk. Karen is staring at her computer, but not moving. A moment later she turns her head to look at Phyllis and smiles slightly. 'Well, I guess there's a lot of history between us.'

'You love him, don't you?'

Pam looks over to see Jim still talking to Michael. 'Very much.'

'Tell him dear. Let him know. He deserves to know and actually, so does Karen.'

At that moment Michael's door opens and Jim walks out, smiles softly at Pam and crosses over to talk to Karen for a moment. 

Pam watches this and turns to Phyllis. 'I will.'

Jim walks back to Pam and Phyllis after his conversation  with Karen. Phyllis gives Pam a hug. 'Let me know if you need anything dear.'

'Thanks Phyllis.'

She stands up and Jim says 'Thanks Phyllis.'

'Of course. You take care of her now, ok?' She winks at him and walks over to her desk.

Jim turns to Pam. 'You ready to go?'

Pam stands up. 'As much as I'll ever be.'

They walk out together and Jim puts his arm around Pam's shoulders. Pam knows he's doing that to help keep her steady, but she immediately feels warm and safe at his touch.

They go downstairs and walk to his car. He opens the passenger side for her, waits for her to get in and shuts it behind her. He then gets into his side and starts the car. Pam feels so grateful that he's sitting next to her, ready to do whatever she needs from him. 

They arrive at the hospital a little while later. Jim gets out and runs around the car so he can open the door and holds his hand out for Pam. She looks at it, then up at him. She takes his hand and stands up. He smiles at her and reaches behind her to shut the door.  

He then asks, 'Do you want me to come in with you?'

Pam gulps, 'yes please.' Mostly, she just doesn't want to let go of his hand.

They walk into the hospital and go to the information center. Pam gives her father's name and they are instructed on how to get where her family is waiting.

She holds Jim's hand tighter as they walk through white, antiseptic halls. As they near where her mother and sister are sitting, waiting,  Jim squeezes her hand. She looks over at him and he smiles at her again. 

'Whatever you need.' He whispers to her.

She finally lets go of his hand when her mom stands up and she hugs her and starts to cry. 


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans