- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This chapter deals a bit more with death and the aftermath, so if that's not your thing, best skip it. 

Jim's pov 

Jim stands near the women, not really sure what to do. Penny (he recognizes her from photos right away) smiles softly at him, then also hugs Pam.

Helene Beesly turns to Jim and says. 'It's so good to see you again Jim. I just wish it wasn't under these circumstances.'

'Me too.'

Pam lets go of Penny and turns back to Jim. 'You haven't met my sister Penny yet. This is Jim.'

Penny reaches out her hand to Jim's to shake. 'Of course, Jim. It's nice to finally meet you. I've heard a lot about you.'

Jim smiles at this but thinks to himself 'a lot? Like what? What has Pam said?'

Out loud he says, 'Nice to meet you too.'  He turns back to Helene. 'I'm so sorry for your loss. Please let me know what I can do for you all.'

Helene pats his arm. 'Oh, thank you sweetheart. We were planning on going back to the house now that all the paperwork is done.' She stops for a moment and looks at the floor. 'I just don't know what I'm going to do without him.' 

Pam and Penny give their mom another hug. Then Pam pulls back and looks at her mom. 'Can I, ummm, see him?'

'The doctor said you could go in that room if you want to. That's where he is. He said pull the sheet back, but don't touch the body.' 

Pam gulps. 'Ok.' She looks at Jim and he gives her a look as she slightly nods, so he goes in with her.

As they enter the room Jim notices how quiet and dark it is. Behind a drawn curtain is a gurney with a body still on it. Pam moves forward and Jim stays close behind her in case she feels dizzy again.

She pulls the sheet back and Jim sees a man who slightly resembles a picture Pam had showed him once of her father. 

Jim hears Pam gasp. 'It just doesn't look like him. I know it's him, but he's just not there. Does that make sense?' 

'Yeah it does.'

Pam's hand stars to flutter around her father's face. She obviously wants to touch him, but knows she's not allowed. 

She wraps her arms around herself and starts to cry. Jim puts his hands on her shoulders and she turns into him and wraps her arms around his waist. He holds her as she continues to cry. He's not sure what else to do for her at the moment.  

Pam softly says, 'That's my daddy. Oh my God Jim, why did this happen?'

Jim kisses the top of her head and keeps holding her. 'I don't know Beesly, I wish I had some magic words for you.'

She pulls back a little and looks up at him. Tears are still flowing down her cheeks, her mascara is running and her face is splotchy, but he still thinks she's the most beautiful thing he's ever seen.  She keeps staring at him and he realizes that she's going to kiss him, but suddenly she shakes her head a little and takes a step back and looks at the floor. 

'Thanks Jim. I'm ready to leave now.'

'Ok.' he goes to the gurney and pulls the sheet back over the man he'll never meet in life. 

He then turns and follows Pam back out to the hallway.  

Helene and Penny stand up when they come out and hug again and hold each other, but don't say anything. Jim stands off to the side awkwardly. 

After a moment everyone lets go of each other and turn to leave the hospital.

Helene says, 'We're going back to the house. There should be some food at home. Jim, you're more than welcome to come over.'

Pam is walking next to him down the hall and holds his hand. Jim looks at her and she mouths 'please?' at him. 'Of course Mrs. Beesly, I would love to come over.'

'Please, call me Helene. Ok, then we'll meet you there?'

 Pam agrees. 'Yeah, we will be there right after you.'

'All right dears.' She smiles a little and she and Penny walk in a different direction than Jim and Pam.

They get to his car and Jim turns to her. 'Michael said to let you know to take off as much time as you need. He said that he'll bring your Secret Santa gift over to your place later. he also said to let you know to call him if you need anything.'

Pam smiles a little thinking of her crazy boss. 'He really is a sweet guy. Just says and does the wrong things sometimes.'

Jim laughs. 'Yep.'

'Jim, I really don't mean to take you away from the party and any festivities you have planned with Karen.'

'It's ok. Really. She understands that we are friends and that I just want to be there for you right now.'

Pam looks up at him. 'Thanks again. I don't know what I'd do if you weren't here.' 

'You won't have to find out.'

They hug and hold each other for awhile as he leans against his car while holding her. he realizes that she is the love of his life, but what she needs now is a friend, so that's what he's going to be for her.

They get to her parents house a little later, and once again  he runs around the car to open the door for her. She takes his offered hand and climbs out of the car. Jim notices that there are a couple cars parked in front of the house.  

Pam also notices. 'Looks like word is already getting out.'

'Oh.'

This time instead of holding her hand, he puts his arm around her waist and walks with her to the door. 

 


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans