- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Jim's Pov.

Jim is trying really hard to focus on what Karen is saying and finishing his e-mail to one of his customers when he realizes that Pam's voice is rising in urgency.

'What?! Pen....no, I understand. I just can't believe....where is mom? Oh my God!...Ok, I'll be there as soon as I can. Yeah, tell mom I love her.' She hangs up her cell phone.

Jim turns around to look at her. Pam is staring at her computer and has turned a ghostly shade of pale.

He gets up and walks behind the reception desk to her. 'Hey Beesly, what's going on? Are you ok?'

Pam slowly turns in her chair to where Jim is standing but looks at the floor. 'My sister just called. My dad had a heart attack. He didn't make it.'

Jim feels his stomach drop at her words.  'Oh my god! Pam...I'm so sorry. What can I do?'

Pam stands up, still not looking at him. 'I need to go too the hospital. That's where my mom and sister are.'

'Yeah, of course. I'll drive you. You're in no condition to drive.'

'No, stay. The party is in a little bit. I'll....'

As she says these words, her knees buckle and she collapses into Jim. He easily scoops her up and takes her to the couch in the waiting area where he gently lays her down.

He smooths her hair back and stares down at her closed eyes. 'Dammit Pam. I am so sorry.'

Behind him the bullpen erupts and people hurry over to Jim and Pam.

Michael reaches them first. 'Oh my god Pam! She needs to go to the hospital! STAT!'

Next is Dwight, right by Michael's side. 'I can take her. I am a professional escorter.'

 Michael turns behind him. 'Phyllis, boil some water and get some fresh sheets!'

Kelly comes out of the annex to see what the excitement's about. 'Oh my god! Is Pam pregnant?'

Kevin says 'Someone should call 911.'

Michael: 'Yes, good thinking. Oscar, call nine hundred and eleven.' 

Jim stands up as people are crowding around the couch and all are talking over each other. 'Hey everyone. Pam is physically ok. She's just had a major shock all right? We don't need to call an ambulance. Just back off and give her some air.'

People start backing away as Pam's eyes flutter open.

Jim turns back to Pam and hears Phyllis say, "I'll get her some water.' 

'Thanks Phyllis.'

He kneels down in front of Pam and takes her hand in his. 'Hey there Beesly.'

She looks up at him for a moment and seems confused. 

'Jim?'

'Yeah, you passed out for a minute, so I put you on the couch.'

Pam slowly sits up with Jim's help. 'Oh.' After a minute he can tell she remembers what happened and her face crumples as she starts to cry. 'Oh no. What am I going to do without him?'

Jim puts his arm around her shoulder as he sits with her and lets her cry into his chest. 'I wish I could tell you Beesly. I wish I could make everything ok for you.'

Pam nods slightly. 

Jim speaks again into her hair. 'I'll take you to the hospital.'

Pam pulls back slightly and looks at him. 'What about Karen? I don't want to make you do that.'

'You're not making me do anything. I will take you there. Just hang out here for a bit.'  He gets up and walks to Michael's office and closes the door. 


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans