- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Just a little thing that I thought of for National Jelly Bean Day, because you know, apparently I can't miss a holiday.

Thanks as ever to RD for the beta. At least it was small this time. Twss. 

I don't own anything here, but I kinda like jelly beans. Maybe not as much as Jim though. 

He sat at his desk not knowing what to say. It was going to make her sick. But he didn't really know her. She'd literally just walked him over to his desk, warned him about his crazy new desk mate, and left him with a stack of forms to fill in.

The fact that he'd stared over at her seven times in the last three minutes since she'd done so was neither here nor there. Neither was the fact that he was completely in love with her already.

So what should he do?

He sat there for another minute wondering but when she picked up the yoghurt pot and peeled the foil lid back, he finally grew a pair, pushed his chair back, and walked over to her desk. 

"Um, this might sound weird and there's no reason for me to know this, but that mixed berry yoghurt you're about to eat has expired," he said, trying not to sound as awkward as the statement sounded in his head. He stood there cringing, feeling his face warming up and wondered what on earth he had just said that for.

She examined the pot and realised that indeed the yoghurt had expired. "Oh wow, it really has," she laughed, tossing the pot into the bin. "Well, thanks for saving my life. How ever will I repay you?" she giggled. 

"Uh," he laughed, scratching the back of his neck. Have lunch with me? Be my girlfriend? Marry me? Have my babies? he wanted to shout, but figured that might be a bit much.

"Hot Tamale?" she asked, holding out the dish that was sitting on her desk to him.

"Um," he murmured. He hesitated to take one because although he'd take anything that she'd give him, he hated that particular candy more than anything. He eventually gave in and took one, holding it in his hand rather than tossing it into his mouth. Maybe he could throw it in the trash when she wasn't looking. 

"You don't like them?" she asked with a furrowed brow, bending over her desk slightly to look down at his hand where he was holding the small red candy between his thumb and forefinger.

"Not really," he said sheepishly, his face beginning to match the colour of the Hot Tamale. 

"What do you like?" she asked, smoothing her skirt to sit down again.

You, he wanted to say. "Jelly beans," he said instead with a wide grin. 

"Good to know," she said with a small smile and a blush of her own.



MrsKHalpert is the author of 40 other stories.



You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans