- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Three drabbles that go together.

Kenny is snoring.
 
Somehow, Roy lifts his head, peering over the coffee table. He chucks an empty beer can at his brother who snorts, rolls over, and passes out again.
 
He grabs his head tightly hoping the pressure will dull the pain and wishes that the parts of the night that he can’t remember included everything Pam told him. One long swig finishes the bottle of whiskey cradled in his arms. Drifting off again, he sees her in the blue dress, kissing Jim.
 
Kenny had mentioned taking a road trip. Roy suspects that what he needs isn’t in Scranton anymore.

*******************************************


Karen’s jaw is hanging open. His eye is swollen shut and his knuckles are scraped.

“What happened?” she finally manages.

“You should see the other guy,” he smiles. Then winces.

She takes the ice pack from him. “Tell me.” It’s not a request.

“Just a misunderstanding. Something that should’ve happened almost a year ago.”

“Oh, Jim.”

“Don’t worry about it. Seriously.”

“This won’t happen again?”

“No. He’s gotten it out of his system.”

“Have you?”

He knows exactly what she means. He looks deep into her eyes and she believes him when he says she’s the only one for him.

*******************************************

I can’t.”

Jim's words are ringing in her ears and the déjà vu that washes over her almost makes her dizzy. The universe had a cruel sense of irony. It had taken her whole life to notice, but there it was.

He’s staring at her now, gauging her reaction.

“I knew it was too late,” she laughs bitterly, “It was always too late but I hoped we could work it out someday.”

“Our timing isn’t very good,” he says sadly.

“No,” is all she can manage.

Pam’s the one walking away from him this time but it isn’t any easier.



Par5 is the author of 29 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked Lonely Days, Lonely Nights also liked 351 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans