- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I do not own the Office or its characters!!!!
The night was cold and the only things even a little visible were particles drifting underneath the light of the street lamp positioned at the corner

The night was cold and the only things even a little visible were particles drifting underneath the light of the street lamp positioned at the corner. Jim’s hands were numb and tingled as he gripped Pam’s warm neck loosely in their huddle.

“Okay you know what we’re doing?”

Pam sighed a little, kicking sheepishly at Jim’s foot.

“Footballs dumb Jim.”

“Aww…aww...Beesley!” he whined. There was that smile of hers.

“Whaat?” she whined back. “We’re losing anyway. Karen’s pretty fast. And Toby…,”

“Toby’s a good guy,” Jim grinned and looked down the street to see Toby standing awkwardly next to Karen. His hands were shoved deep into the pockets of his jeans as Karen leaned forward and spoke in terms of football lingo he decided just to nod at.

“So what exactly does it mean when you said that you’re going to ‘cover’ Karen and I’m going to ‘cover’ Toby?” Pam asked, shifting weight to her other foot. Karen’s clap echoed down the street to Jim and Pam as she broke her and Toby’s ‘huddle’. Jim put his hands on Pam’s shoulders and bent his head down a little. Pam held her breath. It was as close as they had been since he first returned to Scranton. She missed it. Missed the way she could just feel silly with him and not so awkward.

“Just keep an eye on Toby okay? Make sure he doesn’t get to their touchdown.”

“Which was what again?”

Jim turned her a little.

“Yellow truck past the streetlight.”

Pam nodded and took position near the sidewalk. She could see the clear puff of air in front of her as she exhaled slowly. Karen was doing a little hop in front of Jim as she lined up in front of him and Toby took position in front of Pam.

“I’m not so good at this,” Toby said softly, his hands still in his pockets. It was obvious that he felt as awkward as she did.

“It’s fine…I’m not either,” Pam said, wishing she could think of something to say to lighten the tension. The only two seeming to even be having fun was Jim and Karen. Karen yelled hike which had been Toby’s cue to run into their designated end zone and wait for her to throw the ball to him but instead he just managed to stare at her blankly. His look was almost apologetic and a small pang of pity hit Pam in her side.

“Go! Run Fillipelli!” Jim taunted and as she tried to maneuver around him he planted himself in front of her and soon she was giggling into his chest.

“Halpert!” she growled. “That’s a foul!”

“A foul?” Jim laughed. “From who’s book?”

“Duh…the NFL’s maybe?” she shoved the ball into his chest playfully and he laughed.

“You’re a crazy girl Fillipelli.”

She grinned, her cheeks pink from the cold, bringing out more then ever the freckles peppered over the bridge of her nose. Pam felt another pang but she wasn’t sure if it was anger or jealousy or sadness or a mixture of all three. She was his crazy girl. His partner in crime.

"Hey…do you guys want to go in and have some coffee or something?” Jim and Karen walked over to Pam and Toby who were still standing by the sidewalk. Toby looked relieved.

“Sure…sounds good.”

Pam saw Jim’s hand on Karen’s waist.

“You were a good QB Beesley,” Jim teased, poking Pam affectionately in the side on the way into his house. She jumped a little and managed a small smile.

“Thanks Jim.”

It had been her idea on a double date.



CooperDay8 is the author of 2 other stories.



You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans