- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I really like this chapter. I hope you guys do too!

Disclaimer: I own nothing. Not even Jim. Boo!

 

She never liked coffee. Hated the bitter taste of it. And soda was just too sweet. No, tea was definitely the best way to get her caffeine fix. And not the iced stuff, either. She loved how tea was warm and comforting while she drank it, giving her a sense of calm, preventing her from smacking some sense into Michael after saying something stupid (yet again). But it also gave her that little jolt to keep her awake throughout the day. After all, she was a receptionist. At a paper company.

Jim knew about her love for tea; that’s why he knew she would love the teapot he gave her that Christmas three years ago. And now he also knew her favorite brand: Celestial Seasonings Chocolate Caramel Enchantment Chai. So, being the sensitive and thoughtful husband that he was, he always remembered to restock their tea supply, even without her reminding him.

Which is why he was now looking at her with a confused expression on his face in the middle of the supermarket.

“Seriously, you don’t want to get some tea? I thought you said you only had 2 packets left?”

Pam nodded, a small smile tugging at the corners of her mouth. “I do, but I think I need to switch to another beverage for now. Or at least try some decaffeinated tea.”

He smirked down at her. “So now it’s your turn to evolve? I thought you hated decaffeinated tea. ‘Almost as bad as fake meat,’ you told me.”

She made a face. “Yeah, it is pretty gross stuff.”

“Decaf tea or fake meat?”

“Both.”

He chuckled. “So why the sudden change?”

She shrugged nonchalantly. “Well, during my yearly checkup today, my doctor told me that I should avoid caffeine.”

Concern filled his eyes, but she continued before he could say anything. “Apparently caffeine is a suspected teratogen, which is bad for the baby.”

She tried unsuccessfully to hold back a giggle at the sight of his jaw dropping almost to the floor.

“Are you serious?” He whispered the question, as though saying it out loud might wake him up and he’d find out it was all just a dream.

Her smile seemed to grow impossibly wider as she gave the tiniest of nods. “I’m just about 6 weeks along. Dr. Young said it will still be another few weeks before we can tell if it’s a boy or girl.”

Jim stepped closer to her, still speechless, and his arms went around her waist as his expression melted from one of shock to awe.

She could feel the tears of happiness building in her eyes as she kept smiling up at him. “I was going to tell you over dinner tonight, but I guess I can’t keep a secret for that long.”

He just gazed at her like she was the world to him. Because, really, she was.

“Well, aren’t you going to say anything?”

He leaned forward, his lips mere centimeters from hers. “I’m so in love with you,” he breathed just before their lips met.

Pam was the first to pull back for air, grinning at the still-dazed look on Jim’s face. “So I was thinking of names and I really like the sound of Kurt Halpert... or maybe Gary…”

Chapter End Notes:

There is some conflict as to whether or not caffeine really is a teratogen or not. But I chose my viewpoint to go with the story. Hope you guys enjoyed!



StarShine is the author of 9 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 13 members. Members who liked 5 Changes Pam Makes also liked 2981 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans