- Text Size +
Pam walked into work Monday morning feeling better than she had since Thursday night. She'd called her mom Saturday morning and they'd gone shopping that afternoon. She had bought new curtains and a new comforter for her bedroom. Saturday night she'd gone out to dinner with a girl from her art class who didn't have a tv. She didn't know anything about a documentary, so they debated charcoal pencil brands and the merits of watercolors. Sunday had been more difficult. Roy called that morning and asked her to go to the lake. She thought it was a bad idea, but it would be nice to get out of her apartment and Scranton for a little while. They had fun riding the jet skis and hanging out. They'd talked more about their break up and Pam felt like Roy finally understood why she had called the wedding off. He said he could change and she believed he wanted to, but it just felt too late now. He seemed upset by that, but after a while he seemed to accept it and things settled down between them.

She was a little late for work, so almost everyone else was already there. Just after she settled into her desk, Michael stepped out of his office.

"Everyone? May I have your attention? I just wanted to let everyone know that Karen has transferred to New York. Jan offered her a great position at corporate and she decided to take it.  So everything is good. Okay? Okay. Good."

Leave it to Michael to say that tactfully. Pam rolled her eyes and buried herself in work. Jim kept his back to her all day. She didn't know what to think of that. She wanted to talk to him friend to friend to see how he was holding up with Karen leaving, but she knew she was probably the last person on the planet Jim wanted to talk to right now.

For the next five days, she did her work and stared at the back of Jim's head. She really didn't know what to feel anymore. He'd obviously been over her before Karen had left. He had not spoken to her all week. He hadn't really spoken to anyone all week. He'd done his work and made his calls, but other than that, he just sat there not looking at anyone. He ate his lunch late by himself and left the break room if it started to get crowded. Pam knew he had to be hurting, but she didn't know what she would say. It's Friday, so she would have time to think over the weekend without seeing him, so maybe she'd come up with something.

As the work day came to a close, Phyllis stopped by her desk. "Hey Pam, a bunch of us are going to Poor Richards for a beer right now. Want to come?" Jim glanced at her as she hesitated. Usually it would be something he would have gone to, though in his current mood, she wasn't sure if he would or not. "No thanks, Phyllis. I'm exhausted, so I think I'm just going to go home and watch a movie. Maybe next week?"

Phyllis smiled at her with concern in her eyes, but cheerfully said, "Sure, Pam. Get some rest. See you on Monday."

By the time Phyllis had finished, Jim had slipped out the door. Oh well, she thought. I really am tired.

At home, she ordered a pizza and looked through her movie collection. She wanted something light and fluffy, so she picked Legally Blonde. Without thinking, she picked up her cell phone and called Karen. She just wanted to see how her first week at work went. Karen sounded good. She liked her new position and was excited about looking for an apartment in New York. Pam told Karen stories of all the things Michael had done this week and Karen told Pam about her new coworkers and how crazy wasn't just at the Scranton branch.

She heard a knock on her door. "Oh, Karen, the pizza's here. I'd better go get the door. I'm really glad things are working out for you."

"Thanks for calling, Pam. It was nice to talk to you. Bye."

Pam grabbed her wallet and trotted over to the door. She flung it open, the stopped. "You are not the pizza guy."

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans