- Text Size +

Dancing around the competition Chapter 2

 

Today has been going by pretty slow.  Pam thinks to herself while staring at her computer.  Things are kind of weird between Jim and I for some reason. I’ll look over and he will just turn his head the other way, as if he was trying to avoid me. She frowned as she stared blankly at her computer. Does it have something to do with me finding out that he isn’t with Katy anymore? Or does it have to do with the fact that I am relieved about it. She glanced towards his desk and realized he is no longer there.  Her eyes wandered around the office until she caught his gaze from the break room.  He smiles softly at her while Kelly talks his ears off.

 

“… And that’s when Ryan asked me out for our 23rd date!” Kelly explained with a big smile.  “But he said I get to choose where to go and I don’t have any idea what restaurant to go to! Jim help me out!” She pleads with him before noticing he isn’t paying attention. “Jim?” She repeats starting to get upset. “Jim!” She yells as she pokes him in the shoulder.

 

“Sorry,” he replies as he takes a step back, “Why does it have to be a restaurant? How about you guys dance together at the dance tonight and see where it leads.” Jim replies nonchalantly while giving Kelly a small smile.

 

“Oh my god Jim, that is an amazing idea!” Kelly says while grinning happily.  “How come you are single? You certainly know how to impress a lady.” She continues sheepishly as she thinks about dancing with Ryan.

 

“I choose to be alone.” Jim states solemnly while looking over at Pam before realizing what he has said and looks back at Kelly to make sure she hasn’t caught what he just said.  When he looks at Kelly he sees she figured it out because the grin on her face is growing bigger by the second.  “Be-because I just haven’t found someone yet…” Jim stumbles as he leaves the room cursing himself for slipping up like that and to Kelly of all people.

 “Oh my god, I totally think Jim still likes Pam.  He is always looking at her so longingly. It is so adorable.” Kelly sighs shaking her head at the camera. “I think I should help out.” A grin is creeping up on her face as she continues to talk about her plan. 

Michael calls everyone into the conference room to start the meeting. He smiles brightly as he thinks to himself about how the following events will turn out.

 

“Ladies and gentlemen, tonight we will have a little change of plans.” As Michael speaks, he can clearly see the fear in his co-workers eyes and grins when he hears some moans from the crowd. “Don’t worry; we will still be having dancing lessons.  But, we will also be having an actual dance!”

 

The room started to cheer as the news from Michael was, for once, good news.  Jim glances over at Pam to see her smiling away with Kelly and Phyllis.  His smile gets a little bigger when Pam looks over to him excitingly.

 

Look at him; he has such a nice smile.  It makes me feel…  She makes herself stop the thought from continuing and takes a look around the room.  Is it just me or does it seem to be getting warmer in here? Pam asks herself while she plays with her necklace trying to ignore the feeling of her heart racing.

 

“You can all thank Kelly for the great idea.” Michael says as the camera zooms in on Jim and the fact that he is blushing because Kelly looks over at him and mouths out a “your welcome.”

 

Pam catches the glance from Kelly and gives Jim a puzzled look and he just shrugs with a lop-sided grin.  She smile and thinks about how he can make her feel so good just by smiling.

 “My prom wasn’t that good,” Pam states to the camera, “I ended up taking care of Roy the whole night.” She frowns as she remembers. “Prom?” Dwight asked the cameraman as he puffs his chest out.  “I did not attend my high school prom.  The Shrutes’ always celebrate things as a family. I remember Mose’s prom night we took the old potato gun out and shot at the animals on our farm.” Dwight looks into the camera and smiles. “Now that was a prom night.” “My prom night was amazing!” Kelly screamed into the camera.  “I stood around my house and waited for my prom date for 3 hours, but my family drove me to the school and the whole night was just a blast.” Kelly sighed into the camera, “I’ve always wonder why my date never showed up.” Ryan stares into the camera, scared for his life while he waits on the phone. “Is their any way I can be a temp somewhere else? When? Would you be able to do it today?” Ryan eyes light up when he sees there is a chance to get out of this. “No? Oh okay then, don’t worry about it then.” Ryan frowns and looks up at the camera. “I am screwed.” “I have no clue what happened on my prom night.” Meredith tells the cameraman.  “All I remember was going to an after party, and then waking up in a field by my house.”  “What is this thing people are calling a ‘prom’?” Creed asks blankly into the camera. 

“So Pam, do you have a date for the prom tonight?” Jim asks as he walks over to the reception desk, avoiding eye contact with her.

 

She could have sworn she had stopped breathing as she slowly looked up at him. A smile slowly creeping onto her face until she remembered Roy probably wouldn’t like the idea of Pam having a date.  “Um, no, I don’t think I’ll be going with one.  I just don’t think that Roy would really like it if...” Pam began, feeling very upset about having the realization that she and Jim couldn’t go together.

 

“Oh, right of course.  I’m sorry.” Jim paused as the stared at the floor as if it was the most interesting thing in the office.  He slowly took a breath in and looked up at her, giving her a small smile.  “Well,” he paused again as if to rethink if this was alright to say, “Would you, maybe, be able to save me a dance?”

 

She now knew that her heart had literally stopped beating.  She was obviously blushing as she looked up at him only to notice that he was also blushing. 

 

“I mean, if you don’t want to I…” Jim began

 

“No, I want to” Pam blurted out. She could feel her heart race as she catches his eyes on her.

 

He thought he was in a dream. They were both staring at each other now.  Their gazes were speaking the words for them.  His smile made her melt and her nervous laughter made him weak.  His caring eyes made her crave him and the smile on her lips made his knees buckle.

 

“Well then, I’ll see you tonight then.” Jim said with a grin on his face. He began to step away from the reception desk slowly.  As he got back to his desk, his smile still plastered on his face, he looks up at the clock.  Still 3 hours to go.

 “Yeah I’m excited for tonight.” Jim states to the camera. “Its prom night and I get to hang out with my best friend.” He continues with a grin on his face. “A date? No, no date this time.  I’m just going to have a good time with… everyone from work.” Jim smiles awkwardly to the camera.” “At first I was kind of disappointed that Roy wasn’t able to come.  But now I am just excited to dance with….. I mean see everyone dance.” Pam smiles with a hint of pink on her cheeks.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans