- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All OFFICE characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of THE OFFICE. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

The tables were full in the break room as the employees of Dunder Mifflin tried to figure out "what had happened with Dwight?"

Going in order of seniority: 

Phyllis, Stanley, Meredith, Kevin, and Toby had finally agreed (after much discussion) that Jim must have pulled a prank so spectacular that even "nothing fazes me" Dwight had been unable to cope. They guessed that body butter, Jan, and a highly suspect fax may have been involved. There was no way, they agreed, that Dwight would try a coup again after the horrible "incident".  It had to be a prank. There was no other possible explanation. As Phyllis put it: "...ever since Jim's gotten back from Stamford, his pranks have been...well...not quite...the same."

Creed was of the opinion that Dwight had been caught stealing office supplies from corporate headquarters. He thought this since a few days ago he'd told someone... possibly Dwight... about how he would go to Corporate once a year to "stock up". Obviously the boy was incompetent.

Angela was very vocal in her belief that it "was all a set up. He was framed by Andy who's been jealous of Dwight since the day he first walked into this office." No one knew how to respond to this because...well....who would be jealous of Dwight?

Ryan unfortunately was not able to give his opinion since he had been forcibly dragged to lunch with Michael and Andy. Luckily, Kelly was "PO-SI-TIVE" that Ryan would agree with her opinion which was "Well, DUH, Hello? Valentine's Day is only a MONTH away! He was probably shopping in New York for his girlfriend's gift. I'm thinking diamonds. Not Harry Winston, no, he's waaay too traditional, maybe Tiffany's but there's that Cartier and it's just a couple of blocks from Corporate... He probably just stopped in to Corporate to get a parking voucher." No one seemed to share Kelly's opinion although her sly wink to Pam was caught on camera. Pam responded by looking down at the table she was sharing with Angela and Phyllis.

If Jim and Karen had decided to have lunch in the break room that day maybe the ensuing events would have been prevented. Unfortunately, Karen insisted that she only put in the "required time" at the Scranton branch - 9 to 5 and a full lunch hour anywhere but here. So Jim was not able to stop the snowball before it started down that dreaded slippery slope...

It began with that not so innocent remark from Phyllis about Jim's pranks not being the same. When the "Dwight" discussion died down, Meredith brought the pranks up again.

"You know," she said, "I don't think I've seen Jell-O since Jim got back. I mean he doesn't even eat it as a snack anymore."

"Yeah," said Kevin, "I bought stock in Kraft Foods because I figured one day Jim would encase Dwight's TransAm in Lime Jell-O. I'm going to sell that stock at a loss if Jim doesn't get it together."  While everyone was snickering, Angela glared daggers at Kevin. Kevin was oblivious. Long ago he had developed immunity to Angela's low level "faces of death".

"Well, maybe Jim learned an important lesson from his transfer to Stamford." Toby replied. "I think it's a good thing. He's matured. He's more dedicated to his job."

Meredith snorted. "Oh yeah, he's so matured that he's started dating someone in the office who officially works beneath him. He's a guy; he's not maturing. He's just getting some for the first time since we've known him. Who has time for pranks when sex is on the plate?"

Reactions to this statement varied. Creed looked intensely interested (who was the girl? The receptionist? Surely not the redhead?). Kevin had a smile on his face as if he was imagining some fantasy in his head. He let out a little giggle.  Toby and Phyllis both looked thoroughly uncomfortable.  But for sheer look of horror it was hard to decide whose was worse: Angela's, Pam's or Kelly's. While Angela said "That's disgusting!", Kelly launched into a little rambling speech about how "office romances can be completely sweet and it doesn't mean that the girl involved is a tramp or that sex is involved or that their co-workers should even be discussing it because who were they to talk and she was so thankful she was dating Ryan because he was just wonderful and such a gentleman and her family really loved him and at the Diwali he said..." Under the full Kelly onslaught, Pam was able to regain her composure. Stanley, meanwhile, blithely ate his potato chips and read  the newspaper.

Kevin was the first to break in on Kelly. "What about the purse girl? I think he was getting it on with her!"

Toby quickly fired back "Her name was Katy and I don't think we should speculate on an employee's personal life, Kevin. Would you like us to speculate on Stacey and your relationship? This whole discussion is really inappropriate."

 Phyllis tried to smooth the waters (as usual, she thought) by saying "I just thought that there had been a notable lack of pranks since Jim came back. I think he may be kind of depressed. That's all I meant. I don't think..."

 She was cut off by Angela. "He was never a Master of Pranks or anything Phyllis. He just wasted people's time and was irritating. Now if his pranks proved useful in any way for the Branch, I could see, but Dwight always said..." she gulped and trailed off.

Pam saw that Angela was near tears and said the first thing that came to mind. "The true Master of Pranks would do something to get Dwight rehired."

Everyone turned and looked at her in shock. Stanley voiced their feelings "Now why would we want him rehired?"

Angela looked like she was about to fly across the table and pummel Stanley, so Pam quickly said "How long do you think the Scranton branch will last without Dwight? He's our number one salesman! With all the Stamford people quitting, and the lawsuit, and now our number one sales gone? This is not going to look good to Corporate. And since Jan is...whether it's true or not...there's something there...and she's not going to fire Michael is she? She's not going to blame Michael. Who is going to get the blame when the numbers start..."

 "Exactly!" Screeched Angela, "You guys don't see the numbers, all you're thinking is 'Whoopie! We get to divvy up Dwight's clients! Extra bonus for us!' But I see the numbers, people. Dwight is the number one salesman for bringing in NEW clients. All of you are fine at keeping them, but I don't see any of YOU going out of your way to drum up new business!"

Pam gently said "If anyone CAN think of a prank to bring Dwight back, I think it might save ALL of our jobs."

There was silence.

Meredith finally broke the heavy atmosphere "Well, as long as Jim is poking the Full Lippy, we can't look to him for help."

Angela forcefully said "Who cares about Jim, he's never done anything useful in his life. I think Pam is the one who should do it. Everyone send all your prank ideas to Pam and she'll pick the most likely to succeed."

 With a jerk of her head, Pam replied "Why me? I don't..."

 Angela picked up her lunch bag and dumped it in the trash can and interrupted Pam, "Not only was this your idea, but you OWE Dwight. Plus Jan likes you and trusts you and you've gotten Andy singing you love songs so surely you can get information out of him... And you can listen in on Michael's conversations to Corporate. And...well...you're our only hope." There was a look of pleading in Angela's eyes. A look Pam had never seen before.

And what did Pam think at that moment? She thought "Crap."

 

 

 

 


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans