- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Well, without my gals EmilyHalpert and BeckySue, I'd.....  not be good :)  Superbeta's at their finest here folks, seriously. 

May 11, 2007

How was he supposed to work on a day like this? One year. They had been together for exactly one year today. It had been the greatest 364 days he had ever had. And tonight he had the greatest date ever planned. Fancy Italian restaurant, champagne, and then...

He was snapped out of his thoughts when Jan strode into the office.

They wouldn’t normally expect Jan on a Wednesday afternoon, but the way things had unfolded in the past week, anything was fair game. Michael was settling into a New York apartment, and Corporate had denied his request to name his own successor.

Ergo, the regional manager’s slot had yet to be filled.

The phones were on automatic voicemail for the rest of the day, because Pam had taken a personal day to run some errands and finish up her final art project.

To Jim, the office had never felt emptier.

“Afternoon Jim, can we speak in private for a minute?” Jan said abruptly, ushering Jim towards the conference room. He followed dutifully.

He looked back at the empty reception desk one last time, and imagined Pam was there smiling at him.

He suddenly didn’t feel as nervous.

***

Jan sat across from Jim at the table, looking calm and collected. “As you know, Michael has been transferred to the corporate office in New York.” Jan began, very professionally. “And as you’re aware of, we’ve decided that Michael will not, in his own words, ‘name his successor’.” She shuddered at the thought of Michael speaking.

“Yeah, why is that?” Jim asked curiously, and Jan sighed with exasperation. She leaned in towards him, and began to whisper.

“He wanted to put Dwight in charge, and we don’t feel that Dwight would fit well with management.”

Jim winced as Jan mentioned Dwight’s name. Then, with a chuckle, he said, “Well, let me say that you made the right call.”

Jan smiled with content. “Well, good. I’m glad you agree. Because I’ve had a discussion with the CFO and the board, and we have decided that we would like to offer you the regional manager position.”

His automatic response was to turn them down. His philosophy on careers was radically clear. After taking this job, throwing himself on a train would be the next step. He didn’t want to end up like Michael: having his whole life being a paper company.

Jim looked unsure. “If you don’t mind me asking, why did you choose me?”

“Because Jim, you’re clearly a bright guy. You have great numbers, everybody likes you. We think you would make a great manager.”

He stammered. “Well, Jan...”

She interjected quite rapidly. “Before you say no, Jim, let me outline some of the benefits.” Jim sat silently, and allowed Jan to continue on her clearly rehearsed speech. “It’s a noticeable pay increase, the health care benefits are a step up. You have more control over your hours, and you have guaranteed job security for as long as the branch stays open, which according to your numbers, could be a very long time. You would have a lot more... security.”

Out of instinct, he turned to face the reception desk. Once again Pam was on his mind and how this could affect their relationship.

It would certainly help tonight’s events be less of a strain on the wallet.

“I think I’ll do it.” Jim said, a smile on his face.

Jan leaned in closer towards him, and examined his behavior. “This is a huge commitment, Jim. You remember the way that Josh jerked us around when the branches merged, and to be honest, we can’t afford the same thing to happen here. If you can’t see yourself here in five or ten years, please just let me know so we can find an appropriate candidate.”

Jan paused, waiting for Jim to reply.

A pay raise. Better benefits. Give Pam the opportunity to work on her art. A big wedding. Supporting a family.

He nodded vehemently, and shook Jan’s hand. “Yeah. I can do it.”

Pam still lingered on his mind all day. Everything was falling into place. The dinner, the bombshell of his new job, and the most important question he was ever going to ask her.

He had some shopping to do during his lunch break.

***

Pam set her fork down on the table, and looked over at her art teacher, Noah. “Thanks again for dinner. My boyfriend and I usually order in, so it’s nice to take in the whole restaurant experience.”

He laughed and leaned in closer. “Don’t worry about it. Now, I just wanted to talk to you about this job thing.” Pam sat silently as he spoke. “It’s a graphic design institute. You’d be mostly hired by advertising companies, but other agencies will contact us from time to time. It’s the same basic setup we used in class, only this time you’re getting paid to do it instead of paying us to do it.”

That’s what she said. She thought, stifling a giggle. “It sounds absolutely great. I’ve been looking to get out of reception work for a long time.” Pam replied, her spirits lifting with every word he spoke about the job.

“You’ve got a lot of talent, Pam. And I think if you’re just willing to make the move, that you’ll go a long way at my company. So... what do you say?”

Pam paused for a second, thinking about all that had happened in a year: she had left Roy and that tumultuous relationship, she was in love with Jim, she was dedicating herself to art and a new career. This job meant that she could finally do something for herself.

She said with a smile, “I would love to join your company.”

***

Around two, she finally stopped shaking enough to pick up her cell phone. He was never going to believe this. But on the third ring, she had no idea how she was going to tell him. This was huge—this was going to change her life. Their lives.

On the fourth ring, she nearly hung up.

“Jim Halpert.” He said nonchalantly, and she could tell he wasn’t in the office anymore. Jim didn’t answer his cell in the office. Dwight made his point of “no personal calls on company time” very clear.

“Hey.” She said breathlessly. “It’s me.”

“Hey you.” He said, genuinely thrilled to hear her voice. “How was...”

“Good.” She interrupted, just anxious and excited, and not thinking clearly.

“So what’s up?” He asked, unsure of why she’d call at 2:00 on her day off.

The words choked up in her throat. She had been rehearsing for nearly two hours how to tell him, and now all the words just escaped her. Telling him now just doesn’t feel right. “So what are the plans for tonight?” She managed to get out, wringing her hands with nerves.

“Well, Beesley, I’ve never been one for ruining a surprise...” He began, then trailed off.

“Fine.” She let out an exasperated sigh. “So has Dwight invaded the regional manager’s position yet? Is it safe for me to come back to the office?”

He laughed, trying to calm his nerves. He just couldn’t tell her that he was going to occupy Michael’s old office. That was a surprise he wanted to save for dinner. “Don’t worry, Dunder Mifflin is safe from a Dwight Schrute power trip.”

She sighed with relief. “Good. Okay, well, I better get back to my project.”

“Come on Beesley, are you seriously not done yet? You’re such a procrastinator!” He joked, and she chuckled lightly.

“You know me. Alright. Love you.”

“Love you too.” He said, hanging up. He finally had the courage to approach the jeweler. “Hi.” He said, reaching into his pocket. “I bought this ring a week ago, and I’d like to exchange it. Upgrade a little.” He said with a grin. The jeweler promptly ushered him towards the sections of engagement rings.

This was definitely a great day.

***

The car ride to the restaurant was generally silent. They both murmured words about their respective days and how good the other one looked, but both were battling nerves on how to come out with their secrets.

Jim rehearsed his proposal speech; Pam rehearsed her new job speech.

He opened the door to the fancy Italian restaurant, and she walked in before him. “So have I told you how beautiful you look yet?” He said, trying to break the uncomfortable and awkward silence. She did look absolutely beautiful. She was wearing the tight brown dress she had worn to Phyllis’ wedding, and once again decided to wear her down in more refined curls.

She blushed. “Yeah, you did.”

“Oh. In that case...” He paused, and gazed deeply into her eyes. “You look so beautiful.” Reluctantly, he turned his attention towards the hostess. “Hi. Halpert, reservation for two.”

***

She was floored at the fact that Scranton had such a nice Italian restaurant. But it really didn’t matter where they ate, because she was sitting across from the man she loved immensely. But when the waiter came out carrying a bottle of nice champagne, Pam nearly fell out of her chair.

“Let me just say one thing real quick.” Jim said as the flutes were filled with champagne. Pam gave him her undivided attention. “I just want to let you know that this past year has been one of the best, and that being with you has made me happier than I ever thought I could be.”

She felt the tears welling up in her eyes. Without even saying a word, she gave him a gentle kiss. He held her hand on the table, and decided which shocking announcement would come first.

The proposal.

But before two words could come out of his lips, she interrupted casually. “I know this is an awkward question, but Jim, why are we drinking champagne?” She said, flabbergasted at his spending. “It’s probably really expensive.”

Plan B. The job comes first.

“Don’t be ridiculous Pam. It is definitely most expensive.” He retorted, not even looking up from his menu. “And as for reasons. Let’s see.” He set his menu down on the table, and began counting off the reasons with his fingers. “Because it’s our anniversary. Because I love you...” He stopped once more, and picked up the menu. Refusing to make eye contact, he continued. “And because I was offered the regional manager’s position.”

It took a few seconds for the sentence to kick in, but when it did, she could barely contain her enthusiasm. “Oh my gosh, Jim. That’s amazing!” She said, brushing her hand along his cheek.

He was off in a ramble about the pay increase when another sentence kicked in.

The excitement drained from her face, and soon Pam was as white as a ghost.

“Whoa, hold on Beesley. Are you okay?” He said, noticing her ashen appearance.

She shrugged it off like it was nothing. “It’s nothing. Don’t worry about.” She was trying to change the topic. The look on his face when he told her about the promotion was enough to keep her content for a lifetime. This was his moment, and she didn’t want to ruin it.

“No, seriously. Is something wrong?” He asked, not wanting to drop the conversation. She shook her head, but not convincingly enough. “I mean it. If something’s wrong, please just tell me.”

She spoke confidently at first. “Today at lunch with Noah Parker, my art teacher...” She paused, then after seconds of playing with the table napkin, continued. “He offered me a job at his graphic design company.”

Jim grinned from ear to ear. “What are you... That’s amazing, Beesley!” He pulled her in for a passionate kiss, then immediately went for the glasses of champagne again. “This is great! Two promotions in a day...”

“It’s in Chicago.” She said, just barely loud enough to hear. He froze, just staring at her.

“I’m sorry, what?” He said, scratching his head.

“The job.” She said, loud enough for him to hear. “It’s in Chicago.”

Chapter End Notes:
I promise it won't be as long til the next chapter (we're closing in on the end too!)  I swear.  Let me know your thoughts.  Hated it? Liked it?  Criticism welcome :)


WildBerryJam is the author of 18 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 13 members. Members who liked Dare You To Move also liked 2344 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans