- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Jim's goodbye party.
May 18, 2006
“Oh my God, Jim. I’m gonna miss you SO MUCH!” Kelly ran up to Jim, and nearly made him spill his punch as she wrapped herself around him. “You are so great to talk to, and now I’m not gonna have anybody to talk to around here!” Jim looked up at Ryan, who was across the room from her. He felt bad for Ryan, because he just couldn’t find a way to break up with her. And as Kelly fell into another rant about the newest celebrity babies, Jim just nodded along, pretending to listen, just for old time’s sakes.

Pam hadn’t spoken to him all day. The sudden alienation seemed weird, especially due to the events that had transpired between them lately. There wasn’t a random smile, or a joke, nothing. Just awkward silence between them. When Jim’s going away part began at 3:00, she seemed to get really busy with faxes and shipping out newsletters. He knew she was just doing her job, but it was an hour later, and she hadn’t moved from her desk once. Finally, he walked over there.

“You know those phones have voice mail, right?” He said, an awkward chuckle falling from his lips to the floor.

“It all just makes this thing… final.” She let out with a single sigh. Pam looked up, swollen eyed. She’d been crying. He went back to one week from today, when Pam had just showed up on his doorstep, a free woman.

“Oh, please…”

“Is there anything I can do to make you stay?” She asked, sounding so sad. He had to keep up the secret, so he couldn’t just kiss her right there. No matter how badly he wanted to.

“I wish.” Jim replied, his voice sounding gruff with emotion. “It’s just something I have to do.”

“I can’t come with you.”

“I never asked you to.”

“My job is here.”

“I know.” Jim said, looking down. Then his eyes went up, to see if anybody was in the vicinity. They were all drinking punch and talking in the conference room. “Are you going to come?” He said, trying to lead her in there. She shook her head.

“In a minute.” She sighed, and he nodded. She waited until he was back in the conference room. She wasn’t sure if this void was from Jim’s impending departure, or if she was missing the consistency of having a steady relationship. Because whenever she was with Roy, she knew someone was always there. He may have been rude, abrasive, and sometimes callous, but he was there. Ever since she was in high school, Pam was never really alone. Pangs of guilt were soon rising in her chest. Jim was incredible. He didn’t deserve this.

She got up and made a conscious effort to stop this, right here and now. Roy had broken her heart, and that was in the past. Jim was her present, and that’s what she needed to focus on. She went over to the punch bowl, to where Jim was standing. She reached for the ladle, and her hand gently brushed his. It lingered for a second, and she could feel every knuckle tickling hers. She wasn’t sure if he did it on purpose, but it was adorable none the less. She smiled at him, and went on to fill her punch glass. It was a start. She walked over to Phyllis, who was looking quite lonely by herself along the wall.

“So, Jim.” Kevin said, walking up to Jim. He was now wearing his fedora, something he reserved for special occasions. “Did you hear about Pam?”

“Yes, I did Kevin.” Jim said, looking at the camera, and then back at Kevin. Kevin smiled as he nodded slowly.

“Do you know why she broke up with him?” He said, still grinning. Jim just shook his head, and began to walk away from Kevin. That was getting way too uncomfortable for Jim to handle. Kevin just smiled and nodded into the camera as Jim walked away.

“You know, it’s pretty weird that Pam hasn’t said anything all day to you.” Kelly said, walking back to Jim. “I think she’s going to miss you.”

“We’re friends, Kelly. We’ll always be friends.” Jim replied, and Kelly nodded. He glanced over at her, talking quietly with Phyllis and sipping on her cup of punch. She’s my best friend. Their eyes catch for a second, just one-second. But it’s a great second in time. They both shuffle, trying to break the glance.

“It’s too bad you’re moving away. You and Pam would’ve made such a cute couple.” Kelly insisted on continuing this. “You propose to her at Paris, just like Tom Cruise did with Katie Holmes. That was so romantic! I hope that’s how Ryan’s going to propose to me...” She said glancing over at Ryan, who was desperately trying to seem busy. Jim just grinned.

“That’s great, I’ll think about it.” Jim says, not trying to rush ahead of himself. They wanted to take it slow, and it was only a week after Pam ended a ten-year relationship. As strong as his feelings were for her, they just weren’t there yet. Besides, I already have that planned out. He looked over at Pam, hoping to catch her glance again. But she wasn’t in the conference room any more. She was back at her desk, going through papers again. He looked up at the clock. 5:00. But the day wasn’t quite over yet. He still had one last trick up his sleeve.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans