- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The Return of Agent Michael Scarn, FBI, and Jim still has one trick up his sleeve before he leaves.
Pam had been dreading the end of the day, especially having to say goodbye to Jim. She hadn’t seen him for a while, since he wasn’t at his desk like usual. Pam was getting nervous and fidgety. In order to help calm her nerves, she started to shuffle around some papers on her desk when she noticed an envelope sitting on the top of her computer.

She immediately recognized the carefully scribbled handwriting, and looked up to only Michael and Dwight left in the conference room. Had Jim already left? Did he really leave without saying goodbye? Curiosity got the best of her and she ripped open the envelope and read its contents.

Threat Level Midnight 2: The Untold Stories

FADE IN:
Catherine Zeta discovers a mysterious envelope at her desk. Her curiosity getting the best of her, she opened it and found the green card, containing the location of her next top-secret assignment.

Pam couldn’t help but giggle, remembering the time everybody stayed late for their reading of Threat Level Midnight. A million memories came flooding back into her head, each containing special meanings. Dwigt. FBI Agent Scarn. Grilled cheese. Swaying. It was so amazing the thought he had put into this. She felt foolish for thinking that Jim would ever leave without telling her good-bye. She found the green card described in the script portion, and read its contents.

Catherine ripped open the next card, reading Michael’s Scarn’s careful handwriting.

MICHAEL SCARN: (voice over)
Catherine, I have a very crucial task for you. Go to the place where we distracted the Germans with a game of Flonkerton.

CATHERINE ZETA:
But what about the phones?

MICHAEL: (Voice over, as if he can hear her)
Forget about the damn phones! This is essential to the mission!

CATHERINE:
I’ll only do it because I love you.

She gets up, and walks into the conference room, filled with the memories of when she flonkered with the best of them all, Agent Michael Scarn.

Pam walked into the conference room, ignoring the comments of Michael and Dwight. She found the envelope sitting in the middle of the table, and snatched it before Dwight could get his hands on it. It was slightly heavier than the last one. She walked back to her desk, and tore it open without even thinking about it.

Catherine opened the next clue, excited for what she would find.

MICHAEL: (voice over)
The only time I’ve never said a word to you is the day you jinxed me until I bought you a coke. The contents of this envelope include two gold medals from the FBI Olympics, which you deserve more than I can say with words. And there is also enough money for you to purchase two cans of coca cola, which you will be essential for your upcoming mission.

Pam went to the break room, and put her change into the machine for two cokes, and felt something else in the dispenser. She pulled out the cokes and another green card.

MICHAEL:
Our first kiss. You might not remember it, because you were drunk and out of your mind. But it meant the world to me, so for your next clue, go to the SOLID GOLD reminder of that great night.

Catherine walked into Agent Michael Scarn’s office, and looked under his Feddie award. Another green card.

She reluctantly waved at Michael as he walked out of the office. She sneaked into his office, finding the card under Michael’s Dundie. She tore it open and continued found the homemade certificate for second drinks redeemable the next time Jim was in Scranton. She read the card.

MICHAEL:
The final stage in your mission is to find the helicopter waiting for you on the roof, to bring you up here with me at Langley for the upcoming meet-and-greet with the other agents. I’ll be waiting.

All of the cards were now rested between the cans of coke. Pam went up the ladder, remembering the last time she went up those rungs. She was giddy with anticipation, wondering where this was all leading.

She got to the roof, not sure of what to expect. She spotted a large blue blanket lying on the floor with two plates, a basket, and Jim. His bright eyes seem to light up even more when he sees her. He stands up and walks toward her.

“I thought you left without me,” Pam said, with a hint of sadness in her voice, “but can you tell me when the Helicopter arrives?” she asks, unable to repress her smile any longer. Jim’s heart felt overjoyed knowing that he was the one who put that bright of a smile on her face. It was a smile he worried he might never see again when he applied to transfer to Stamford.

“I’m afraid your mission was compromised, Catherine Zeta, but Agent Scarn sent me in his place to pick you up and be responsible for you” Jim said. “We are to report back to headquarters. But first, we must replenish your strength before going any further on the mission: my famous grilled cheese and French-onion Sun Chips”

“A gourmet feast!” Pam exclaims, holding out the two cans of coke to add to their picnic on the roof. He opens the cans for them both and hands one to her.

He gazed in wonder at Pam. What did I do to deserve her? She’s simply amazing. Her smile, the way she bites her lip or how she plays with her necklace: no matter what she does, it makes him love her even more. He found himself getting choked up as she shyly glanced at him. He never thought that things that were once only in his dreams would ever come true. He was so grateful he had the opportunity to prove to Pam how special she is to him.

His gaze turned dark as he remembers I’m leaving. This will be the hardest thing he’s ever had to do. This is not the time, Halpert. This is for Pam. Jim gazed at Pam and realizes that he can now look at her without having to have an excuse. He’d always had to think of something witty to say to her or claim he was craving jelly beans when he wanted to have a few brief moments to stare at her radiant face. Now he had the privilege to be able to just look at her whenever he craved to, without feeling ashamed or worried that she might catch him. I’d be glad if she caught me. He thought as a devilish smirk spread across his face.

Pam notices Jim staring at her with a look of pure lust on his face. He raises his in a toast “To our future.” Their eyes never break their stare while they take a sip of the coke.

They settled in on the picnic blanket he’s laid out on the rooftop. Jim sat down with his legs spread out in front of him. She settled in-between his legs, her back resting against his chest. Her hair just reaches his chin and he can smell the sweet scent of her vanilla shampoo. Jim ran his fingers down the length of her arm, feeling the goose bumps he creates on her skin. She closes her eyes, soaking in the feeling of having Jim hold her and feeling safe; like she’s at home. He wrapped his arms around her, pulling her in even closer. Jim nuzzles his chin into the crook of her neck, desperately trying to memorize every detail of her before he’d be forced to part with her again.

“I don’t know what I’m going to do without you here everyday, Jim” Pam says softly.

“Me too, Pam, me too” Jim whispers quietly next to her ear. She can feel Jim’s chest move every time he breathes. “But I think I may have a temporary antidote for when you’re feeling particularly low.” Jim replies as he reaches for a flat, wrapped box. She smiles up at Jim and accepts it. She unwraps it to discover a picture frame.

It a medium-sized frame with three spaces for pictures, but two are filled. She pulls the frame closer and studies the picture on the left that is a picture she immediately recognizes from last year. At the Dundies, Phyllis went to each table and took a picture for the upcoming Dunder Mifflin newsletter. The photo shows Jim and Pam sitting closely at the Chili’s table, smiling brightly towards the camera. She giggles at the fuzzy memories from that night.

Her eyes flick over to the middle picture. Casino Night. Her memory of the night is so clear she doesn’t need the picture to remember the moment. At first, her memories of the night hit her hard when she remembers what happened afterwards with Roy. But then she looks closer at the picture. Pam is standing in front of a poker table smiling straight at the camera while Jim is staring at her. Jim’s look on his face proves to her that his feelings that he confessed that night are real. The signs had always been there, she had just tried her best to ignore them. Now I don’t have to hide anymore. She grins inwardly at how amazing and expressive his handsome face is.

Her eyes glance over to see what the last photo is, but becomes puzzled to find the last photo space is empty. She looks back at him quizzically. He says softly in her ear, “The photo from the Dundies shows our past, Casino Night is our present and this empty space: that’s reserved for our future. Because you’re my past, present, and future, Pam. I’ve tried to convince myself this was just a crush, but now I know that it’s real and true: I am madly in love with you.” He paused, looking down. They both waited for the next words to come, in anxious anticipation. “And I understand you still need time and space, but I don’t know what I’d ever do without you in my life.”

She turns around in his lap and is now facing him. “Jim, I know” she whispers and pulls his head towards her, pushing her lips gently on his. Her hands run to behind his neck and play with his soft, curly hair. He deepens the kiss and then after a while, pulls away slowly. His lips are still centimeters away from her when he sighs, “You are so gorgeous”

Just then, Pam realizes that there is music gently playing in the background. She listens closer and discovers that she’s heard this song before. She tries to remember the song and thinks of the title: “Maybe I’m Amazed” by Jem. She grabs Jim’s hands and stands up, pulling him with her. She wraps her arms around his neck and he places his large hands at the small of her back. She looks deep into his eyes and says “Sway with me, Jim” She steps closer and rests her cheek on his soft sweater. He smiles as he looks down at her. Wow... is all Jim can think of. They close their eyes and he gently sways to the beat of the song.


Maybe I’m afraid of the way I need you
Maybe I’m amazed at the way you help me sing a song
Right me when I’m wrong
Maybe I’m amazed at the way I really need you.

Maybe you’re the only man who could ever help me, baby won’t you help me understand
Maybe I’m amazed at the way you’re with me all the time
Maybe I’m afraid of the way I need you

All of her emotions from the last few weeks overwhelm her and a tear falls from Pam’s eye. She grasps his sweater tighter, making the fabric bunch as she whispers into his sweater, “Please don’t leave me.” He lifts his hand and gently pulls her chin up so she’s looking at him.

He replied earnestly: “Pam, believe when I say, no matter where we are; I’ll always be here for you. There is no where else I’d rather be.”

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans