- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Jim and Pam share a dance.  Pure speculation - no real spoilers.  And if it were any fluffier, it'd be made of spun sugar.  Written for purely selfish reasons but if helps you out too - BONUS!

Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm feeling sappy.  So...here you go.  Not much substance, just a bunch of wishes.  So light and fluffy it's pretty much calorie free! ;)

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

To watch us dance is to hear our hearts speak.  ~Hopi Indian Saying

He stares across the dance floor and catches sight of her, losing his breath for the second time that day. 

The first was in the church when she stood beside him, her hand brushing lightly against his.

She's holding a glass of champagne and laughing, her head thrown back, curls cascading down her back like silken waves.  His fingers itch to touch her. 

He decides he's not going to wait.   After all, he thinks he's entitled.  He's learned things about her lately, most of which have to do with the way she feels about him.

There's no reason at all to hesitate.  Not now.  Not today.

He reaches Phyllis' side and runs a hand lightly over her back as he interrupts their conversation.  "Hey, Phyllis.  Do you mind if I steal her for a second?"

"Not at all."  Her gaze moves from Pam to him and back again, her eyes twinkling.  "You two have fun."   She says softly as she slips away.

"I think she's on to me."  Jim laughs as he takes Pam's hand in his.

"How do you mean?"  Pam gazes up at him, her heart beginning to pound.

He grins widely.  "She gave you up too easily.  But I'm glad.  I need to talk to you for a minute."

"OK."  She's skeptical as she tries to read his expression.

"On the dance floor."  He clarifies.

"Do you want to talk or dance?"  She giggles nervously as she feels his arm slink around her waist, brushing against the smooth silk of her dress.   

He narrows his gaze.  "Can't I do both?"

She shrugs as he spins her slowly.  "I don't know.  Can you?"

"Wow.  Such a doubter.  I'll have you know I possess talents you've never seen."

"And you've kept them hidden all this time why?"

He gives her a look that says C'mon.  "I'd have overwhelmed you with my extreme awesomicity." 

She pulls back sharply and looks at him in disbelief.  "OK.  Please tell me I did not just hear you make up a word.  Let alone a word like that."

"What?"  He feigns innocence.

She smiles and ducks her head slightly.  "I really think you need to quit this business.  I mean, honestly Jim.  Michael is rubbing off on you."

"Bite your tongue."  His eyes widen in shock.

"Hey.  Don't look at me.  I'm not the one saying absolutely ridiculous things…"

"Maybe I should say something else."  Jim offers.

"Please do."  She nearly begs. 

He leans close, his breath fluttering the curls framing her face.  "Did I mention how absolutely amazing you look tonight?"

Her cheeks flush as she replies.  "Once or twice." 

"Let me tell you again."  He pulls her closer his hand sliding up her back, a shiver running up her spine as it skims across her skin.  "You're so incredibly beautiful."

"Thank you."  She breathes against his neck.  "You look pretty spectacular yourself."

"Even without a haircut?"  He asks, his eyes glimmering with amusement as he eases back slowly.

"Yes.  Even then.  I decided to pick my battles."  She laughs as her fingers tangle in his hair.

"So." She sighs as her eyes meet his.  "What's so important that it couldn't wait?"

"Nothing.  Just wanted to say that…"  He bites his lip, pulls her closer.  "I love you."

She rolls her eyes.  "You've said that - like - a million times before."

"Doesn't matter."  He shakes his head at her.  "I still mean it."

"I suppose you expect me to say it back."

"That is the custom."

She slides her hand up his chest and tugs on his tie, bringing his face right next to hers.  "What if…I'd rather show you?"

He pauses, as if actually contemplating her question.  "That'll work.  Let's get out of here."  He yanks her hand and tries to leave the dance floor.

Pam laughs and stands her ground pulling him back.  "We can't leave yet.  You'll just have to be patient."  She says with a smile as he twirls her again, tripping over her feet a bit.  "And you seriously learned nothing from those lessons we took…"

"I did so."  He protests.  "You just have two left feet.  Not my fault."

She snuggles closer and rests a hand on the small of his back.  "Do you remember the first wedding we danced at?"

"Phyllis and Bob's."  He smiles at the memory.  "I'll never forget that night.  I'd just found out you'd been holding out on me."

She shoves him playfully.  "Jim…"

"What?  I'd been back for months you said absolutely nothing."  He shakes his head.

"I said absolutely nothing because you didn't come back alone."  She counters.

The pang of guilt hits him then, but it's only a dull ache, not the piercing pain he'd felt a year and a half before.  "True enough."  He leans down and brushes a stray curl off her cheek before pressing his lips to hers.  "God, we were stupid."

"We were."  She agrees as she slides a hand up to rest on his shoulder.  She shifts her gaze, her eyes catching the shimmering diamonds she wears on her left hand.  "But we got it together in the end."

"Are you ever going to stop staring?"  He chuckles at her as he catches her hand in his, kissing her fingertips gently.  "I'm beginning to think you married me for my money."

"Oh I did."  She replies solemnly.  "That's me.  Total gold digger."

"I should have guessed."  He sighs. 

"You're almost right."  She pulls him close as she whispers.  "There were all the bonus gifts.  I mean, the cake plates alone…"

"Figures."  He shakes his head at her again.  "We really do have to do something about your Pottery Barn addiction."

"...and Crate and Barrel"  She adds with a grin.

"My apologies.  That was part of my vows right?  To have and to hold, for richer, for poorer, in scented candles and serving bowls…"

He takes her completely by surprise as he dips her back over his arm, kissing her deeply as he brings her upright again.

She's breathless as he eases away, the sound of catcalls and cheers ringing in her ears.  She already misses the feel of his lips on hers, she's already craving much more.

She's never been so happy, never so content.  Every moment, every struggle, every mixed message was worth it now that she's here, dressed in swishing ivory silk and delicate lace, feeling safe and warm and most of all cherished.  

Pam reaches up and runs a hand across his cheek, feeling just the slightest hint of stubble under her palm.  "Maybe we can sneak off…"

"Ahh. The truth at last."  He nods sombrely.   "You married me for my body."

"Closer…"  Pam brushes her mouth against his, her voice soft and serious as she continues.   "I don't want you to have to question it - so just so we're clear.  I married you for you."

Her eyes tell him she wants him to believe it.  It's clear by the way he's looking back at her that he does.

"Obviously."  He whispers with a muffled laugh right as he twirls her once more. He's thinking the exact same thing as he kisses her back.



xoxoxo is the author of 67 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 13 members. Members who liked The Wedding also liked 2398 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans