- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Wow, it's been a while, eh?  Unfortunately, moving across the country doesn't leave much time for Fanfic.  But amidst all the packing, driving, and lack-of-internet I did manage to write the next chapter of this story.  But since it's been so long, here's a quick refresher:  In my AU world of Travelling Salesmen, Pam and Jim got stuck together in a way-far-out sales call courtesy of michael.  And let's not forget that Kelly and Karen have also been put as a pair...

Pam chose the restaurant (because, of course, Jim offered her the choice), a tiny cafe that they almost missed completely.  It had exactly three tables, seven chairs, and one smiling old lady at the cash register.  Pam knew immediately that she had made the right choice.  They ordered soup and sandwiches (they both had ham and cheese), and settled into the table nearest the front window.

"So..." Pam struggled, suddenly, to find something to say.  Maybe it was the intimate setting, her growing hunger pains, or that lingering memory of Karen kissing Jim, but the only words in her head were "I love you".  What came out was "I...like that tie."  Lame, Beesly, she thought. 

"Uh, yeah?  Thanks.  Actually, my mom picked it out.  Christmas present."  Jim could feel her nervous energy.  They stumbled through small talk until their food arrived.  After that, their conversation began returning to its normal, easy flow.

"So," Pam said between bites, "It was very interesting to see Salesman Jim at work."

"Well, it's about time you did.  I mean, I get to see Receptionist Pam all the time.  It's only fair."

"Yeah, I mean, I can sometimes overhear you on the phone with clients, but it's...different when they're right there."   It was true.  Jim acted differently when he was talking to a customer.  And it made Pam realize that, as well as she knew Jim, she almost didn't know him at all.

They finished their meal and returned to the road.  After about ten minutes, they passed a sign that said "Huxley 1/2 mi."  Pam squeaked.

"What was that?"   Jim laughed.

"Huxley!  That's where my mom lives.  I haven't seen her in almost...three months!  I know it doesn't seem like that long, but trust me, it is.  Do you think we could stop real quick?"

In no universe would Jim have been able to say no to Pam's pleading expression.  He took the exit and Pam directed him where to go.  As they pulled into the driveway, a few snowflakes were just beginning to fall.

***

Apparently, in Pam language, a "real quick" visit with her mom lasts around three and a half hours.  Jim didn't mind; listening to and sharing in their conversation made Jim feel closer to Pam than he had ever hoped to be, and happier than he would ever admit, even to himself.

Still, they had a long drive ahead of them, and Jim wasn't too upset when Pam began saying her goodbyes.  The two had barely even started outside before realizing that they didn't have such a long drive ahead of them after all. Not tonight, anyway.  The few flakes of snow had turned into a flood of white--there was no way Jim's Corolla was going anywhere until the snowplows came.  Each with a secret smile in their eyes, Jim and Pam retreated to the warmth of the house. 

Chapter End Notes:
So?  What do you think? I need feedback! 

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans