- Text Size +

Jim couldn't make himself open his eyes. He was too happy. No, happy didn't even begin to cover it. This was...ecstasy, bliss, nirvana. He couldn't bear it if he opened his eyes to find that he dreamed it all. "Please God," he silently prayed as he let his lids flutter open. He smiled. She was so beautiful. How was it even possible? He had stared at this face--been in love with this face--for years, but she had never looked so beautiful as at this moment.

"Oh!" Jim's thoughts were interrupted by Mrs. Beesly's surprised voice. He fell off the bed.

"Mrs. Beesly, uh...oh. Hi."

"Oh, no no. Don't worry. I'll be in the kitchen making breakfast..." she looked over at Pam, who was still sleeping. "You two can join me whenever."

"I'll, uh..." Jim got up from the floor and followed her out the door, carefully shutting it behind him. "I'll join you. We...nothing...I mean...we just slept. That's all."

Pam's mom laughed. "How do you like your eggs?"

"Fried, please. Do you need any help?"

"Nope. Just sit and chat with me while I cook. How did you sleep?"

Jim wondered what kind of a mother this was. "Fine. Good. Lots of sleep."

"How was your conversation with...Karen, is it?"

"We broke up."

Mrs. Beesly was quiet for a long time. Finally she said, "Well, I can't say I'm sorry to hear that."

"Me either."

***

Pam smiled. She had been listening to Jim's conversation with her mom since he had oh-so-graciously fallen off the bed. Even though she wanted nothing more than to stare at Jim for the rest of her life, she also kind of wanted to hear what her mom had to say (not to mention Jim). And she knew they were both a lot more apt to say whatever was on their minds if she wasn't around.

***

"What took you so long?"

"What was that, Mrs. Beesly?"

"Call me Lori. And you know what I mean."

"Right. Well, Lori, I guess I was just being an idiot. I thought I could forget how absolutely perfect your daughter is. Oh my god! Is that PAM?"

Lori and Jim were sitting at the kitchen table, sipping coffee. Lori had the photo albums out, and the page was turned to a small, curly haired brunette. She was wearing a pink tutu, tiara, and leopard print shirt. "Yep. Five years old. She wanted to pick out her outfit for the first day of school."

"That is classic! Can I have a copy of this?"

Oh Crap. Pam thought as she eavesdropped from her bedroom. I better get out there. She quickly checked her hair in the mirror and joined her mom and Jim (doing her best to act like she just woke up).

Chapter End Notes:
I think there's one more chapter left of this story, and I'll try to get it up by the end of this week.  Please continue to review!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans