- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
So when I posted this I didn't realize that I missed the 2nd half of the story. So enjoy :)

I don't own anything about the office.... although that'd make life a lot more interesting
He’s sitting at the table, alone, brooding with anger. He wants to believe he’s happy with her, but he can’t. It was a subtle clue he wanted to dance with her, and normally she picked up on subtle things like that. And the way she was looking at him when he was dancing with her; it was jealousy in its purest form. He’d known that look; he had perfected it in the past year.

But she left with him. She was dancing with him, holding his hand, smiling with him, and she left with him. She followed him obediently they were still in love. Hypothetical situations meant nothing; the most important thing was reality. And in reality, she left with him. That meant game over, end of story. And he was going to have to be happy without her.

“Hi.” She says suddenly, breathless. He looks up, and swears that he’s dreaming. Everybody left the reception a few minutes ago, but he lingered, still stuck on her. That image of her leaving with him, but she’s standing right here. In that beautiful dark dress with her hair in loose curls.

“Hi.” He spits out, avoiding eye contact. He doesn’t want to be angry with her, but he can’t help himself. Sometimes he just needs to indulge himself in that idyllic fantasy that he can be angry with her for breaking his heart.

“I want to explain, so just don’t say...”

“There’s nothing to explain.” He finds the words just coming out of his mouth, like he has no control of what he’s saying. He wants to storm off, but she grabs him by the wrist. He’s stuck here, staring at her. And even though that excites him, all he can think about is her going home with him.

“Jim, just shut up for once and let me talk.” She catches him off guard, and takes a breath. “Because if I don’t say it all right now, I’m afraid I’m not going to have the strength to finish.” She looks down, kicking her feet around the floor a bit. Then she looks back up at him, in his gaze-worthy eyes. A boost of confidence flows through her. Karen is gone now, passed out in the car waiting for Jim. It’s now or never. “I was going home with Roy because I was jealous of you and Karen, and I couldn’t take it anymore, and I think I love you...” Her voice speeds up with each word, because she is starting to panic. He’s just staring at her with no expression in his face. All the blood just drains from her face, and she feels like she’s about to pass out. But before another word comes out of her mouth, he pulls her in by the lower part of her back, and pushes his lips on hers. Each piece of skin touches in a passionate flurry. Every single word that she had planned so perfectly just falls out of her head. She is kissing him, and there is nothing on her mind other than him. Work, friends, life just melts away. All that’s left in this little world they’ve created is him, her, and this ardor between them. He pulls away, just to examine her grace. All the blood has rushed to her face, so her cheeks are candy apple red. The wooziness shows in her twitchy movements. She breathes once, regaining consciousness.

“I think you’ve said enough.” He jokes, and she buries her face in her hands. That bravado gave her false hope, and she probably sounded like a moron. “Do you want to dance?”

“There isn’t any music.” Pam states, looking at him like he’s crazy. In one quick motion, he pulls out his cell phone. He pushes a button, and the song he knows she loves comes on. Follow the Light by Travis. Defeated, she pulls herself closer to him. He sets the phone down on the table, the song still playing. She places her arms upon the tops of his shoulders, even though it’s a reach. And he wraps his arms around her lower back, sweeping along her spinal. He doesn’t really know why she loves this song so much, but she thinks about it a lot—it’s the same artist they listened to that night on the roof. She loves it so much because it reminds her of him.

As he draws closer to her, sharing all of his body heat, she rests her head on his chest. She misses the smell of his aftershave. And as the song moves on, she whispers along with the lyrics she’s come to memorize. They mean so much to her, and she loves having him close as she sings them.

In the moonlight, we’ll dance ‘til you fall. You’ll always be here in my heart.




WildBerryJam is the author of 18 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 4 members. Members who liked Carry That Weight also liked 1757 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans