- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Spoilers through The Client (season 2). The premise is that sometime after The Client, casual Fridays were seemingly abolished, as we have now seen the gang in work clothes on Fridays a couple of times. This story attempts to explain what happened to put an end to the beloved casual day..
Author's Chapter Notes:
This is a big change from the normal, heavier things I have written. I'm a little nervous about posting it! But I've been working on it for awhile and I'm almost done with the next chapter so up up we go. This is rather short, as it mainly serves to set the stage.

Disclaimer: I do not and will never own these characters.

Casual Friday was dead by the third Friday of November, in the year of 2005.

It had been limping along since the first incident, three weeks prior, which, for personnel reasons, cannot be discussed by ANY member of the staff. However, this final blow was deadly, a surprise attack that started in the name of friendship.

Dwight found the jeans by accident. At the time he, however, would have rather called it fate, or even perhaps destiny. Accident implies only that he wasn’t looking for them; his attention to the garbage can was far from accidental. He knows from experience that 1 in every 5 work spaces is eventually confronted by a rodent infestation, an issue frequently contributed to by cracked and leaking garbage cans.

After the yogurt incident of ’03, he had deemed preventative inspections instrumental to the future security of this branch of Dundler-Mifflin. It was then that he had chased out of the office an entire colony of dwarf mice with only a potato gun and two pipe cleaners. It should be noted that rodents are capable of doing awful, even sacrilegious things to paper products of all sorts, except cardstock.

Dwight almost exclusively uses cardstock for his correspondences, as he believes it is the only medium durable enough to withstand both gale force winds and termites. As an added bonus, it is odor absorbent.

As for hunting, he believes his talents are better suited to bigger game than small rodents, hence his preference for paintball. He has been researching these remote B&Bs that allow, nay encourage, you to hunt the young and nimble groundskeepers for a weekend. He knows no amount of camouflage or cloaking scents would ever succeed in confusing a Schrute. His great grandfather had sprayed himself with scent of wolf every night before bed, to better bask in and conquer the scent of his prey (although Old Grey managed to remain forever elusive, an unfortunate failure that led directly to the man's death).

Unsurprisingly, all Schrutes are now born with infallible senses of smell and can detect the slight aromatic difference between wolf and fox by the age of 10 months.

Although Dwight doesn’t believe in vacation days, sometimes he allows himself the guilty pleasure of planning out his hunting trip. In his plan there is a horrific (yet non traumatic) incident that forces the whole branch to evacuate for three days. He could then take his vacation quietly, covertly, with Mose left watching the farm as payback for his four day accordion convention three summers ago.

However, even in his daydream he brings along both his cell phone and his pager. Not being in the office is one thing, shirking all responsibilities and neglecting customers would cross an inexcusable line that he refuses to taint his mind by imagining. After all, Dwight K Schrute is only the sum of his customers’ (and Michael's) satisfaction.

However this is all neither here nor there. What matters is that on this particular night it was late and love was blossoming for Jan and Michael. Jim was sitting at home listening to Travis on repeat while doing laundry and Pam was picking a fight with Roy, first date memories having hijacked her senses, leaving her rather petulant.

But most importantly, Dwight, as he went about using his unplanned office sleepover to again demonstrate his worth as Assistant (to the) Regional Manager, was discovering a pair of jeans, the fun jeans, in the garbage can.

Less than 4 days later, Casual Friday would be dead -a victim of the following unfortunate series of events.

Chapter End Notes:
I feel like it should be mentioned that I do own a can of Scent of the Predator, as my roommate is convinced it helps drive the mice away. It smells like fox. If only it smelled like sex panther. Reviews are nice! but so is reading. So thanks :)

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans