- Text Size +

 

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

I say a little prayer for you

Karen looked up when Pam entered the break room with something like relief in her eyes. Karen was sitting at the table, while Kelly stood at the vending machine, gesticulating wildly with a crumpled-up dollar bill.

"Pam!" Kelly exclaimed. Kelly often exclaimed. "I was just telling Karen about the awesome movie I watched last night. My Best Friend’s Wedding! You know, with Julia Roberts? You’ve seen it, right?"

"Um, yeah." Pam had seen it at least four times. She kept trying to stop watching endless romantic comedies in her hours of free (lonely) time, but she couldn’t help herself. As a kid, she’d always picked at her scabs, too. "I liked that one."

"Me, too, actually," Karen said with a smile. Pam was reminded of how much she really liked Karen, mostly. "I don’t like a lot of chick flicks because they all end exactly the same, but that one was kinda cool. It was different."

Pam nodded, and Kelly laughed happily, totally in her element. "Seriously! Julia Roberts not getting the guy? But it was so cute anyway!"

"Well, right," Karen said. "They were better off as just friends, and then he went off with the new girl who was much better for him. It was cool, and much more realistic than having the guy…what was his name?"

"Dylan McDermott?" Pam ventured.

Kelly laughed again. "No, silly, it’s Dermot Mulroney."

"Are you sure? I always mix them up, too," said Karen.

"I don’t." Kelly’s expression had gone firm and her voice lost its normal lilt. "It’s definitely Dermot Mulroney."  Karen and Pam exchanged looks of mild alarm.

"Um, right, Dermot Mulroney…it wouldn’t have made any sense for him to go back to Julia Roberts once he’d moved on with someone else," Karen said.

"Oh, Karen, good romantic comedies don’t have to make sense, as long as the actors have chemistry!" Kelly’s dollar flapped in the air.

Pam spoke up. "No, you’re right, Kelly, but they did have chemistry. Dermot and, um, Cameron Diaz, I mean." Pam slid into the chair next to Karen. "That’s what I liked about it. I mean, Julia Roberts is…you know, she’s Julia Roberts. She’s the ‘right’ choice for the guy- she’s beautiful and smart and funny, whatever. But it doesn’t matter because he loves Kimmi –er, Cameron, you know what I mean. All the desperate, crazy stuff she did to hold on to him wouldn’t ever work because they weren’t right for each other. In his heart he belonged to someone else."

Pam and Karen made eye contact for the briefest of moments. Kelly didn’t seem to notice. "That’s what makes it so cool- that it’s all about true love!" Kelly said. "He proves his true love by picking Cameron no matter what, and Julia Roberts shows true love by letting him go so he can be happy!" Kelly sighed deeply. "And then she ended up dancing with that seriously hot gay guy! That movie was sooo awesome."

Kelly finally turned to put her money in the vending machine. With a half smile, Pam got up and walked out of the break room, Karen following close behind. Pam was wondering if she should ask Oscar to take her dancing. Karen was thinking that there were worse things than being Julia Roberts.



nqllisi is the author of 87 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked I say a little prayer for you also liked 1748 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans