- Text Size +
Story Notes:

a quick little one shot because I really think Jim and Pam need to talk after that confession.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

Author's Chapter Notes:
we will now be returning to our regularly scheduled programming...just had to get this out there.

“I’m applying for the job in New York.”

 

“I heard,” She doesn’t look up from the papers she shuffling on her desk and he’s beginning to think coming in early to talk to her was a stupid idea.

 

He pauses, and waits for her to say something…anything. He isn’t disappointed.

 

“That’s great, I’m really happy for you. I had thought that we could…but if you’re leaving…I’m glad you’re happy Jim, if it’s what you want I really hope you get the job…I just…I think…well, you know what I think,” she still hasn’t lifted her eyes from the paperwork she seems to be shifting endlessly between her hands.

 

“I wanted to tell you that I’m…well, I’m so proud of you Pam for what you said last night, I was pissed as hell that you said it in front of our co-workers, but I was really proud too,”

 

Somehow this manages to get a reaction from her and she looks up at him and smiles genuinely for the first time, even if it’s a really sad little smile, “Thanks,” she shakes her head a little to herself as if convincing herself not to do something, “So New York huh?”

 

He can’t stop talking and he’s not sure why, “Karen thinks it would be for the best, for us to get a fresh start together in a new town. And the job is great…amazing even, a real step up from here…I just, I want to make this thing with Karen work.”

 

“Ok,” she says as her eyes shift back towards her desk.

 

“The thing is Pam, I’m really sorry I fucked everything up between us. I shouldn’t have laid it all out there last May and given you like .5 seconds to make a decision. But you should have called me…”

”I know, I’m sorry,” She interrupts softly.

 

“No, I mean I didn’t come here to blame you at all…it’s my fault, and if you had told me all of this earlier…I don’t know, you know? The thing is somewhere along the way I really started to like Karen…a lot, I think I could be falling in love with her.”

Pam nods, he has her full attention now and somewhere in the back of his mind he knows she’s nodding because she’s close to tears and doesn’t trust herself to speak.

 

“I really want to make this work with her, I mean it’s the first fucking healthy relationship I’ve ever had and I’m 27 years old. I can’t just….She’s amazing and wonderful and I’m the one that doesn’t deserve her…I can’t fuck this up,” he pauses and he’s surprised to see that Pam doesn’t look surprised or even particularly upset, “I’m really glad about one thing Pam, and that’s the fact that you didn’t marry Roy. He didn’t deserve you, you deserve so much more.”

 

He watches as she angrily brushes away a single tear that rolls halfway down her cheek, “I want you to be happy Jim, if Karen makes you happy then that’s great. I can see how it would be easy to fall in love with her. Good luck on your interview,”

 

She starts to walk away and even though they’ve both said what needed to be said, he can’t leave it like this. She’s too calm; this can’t be it.

 

“Wait,” he grabs her arm, “Pam you have every right to be monumentally pissed at me right now, you put it all out there and I’m choosing someone else. I…you should be yelling,” he finishes lamely.

 

She sighs in defeat and her hand somehow snakes it’s way up to his cheek and she caresses his jaw affectionately, “What I said…I mangled even my heartfelt confession that night, I was trying to tell you that I loved you…that I was in love with you. But the thing is I knew you were with Karen- that you were going to stay with Karen. But I thought you had a right to know and that I might be able to win you back, even as just a friend. But the thing is…my love is kind of unconditional…I didn’t expect you to break up with her or tell me you loved me…I love you and don’t really expect you to do anything with that information if you don’t want to,” she looks up at him and maybe it’s because it’s the last time and she can’t help it she reaches up and brushes the barest of kisses against his lips, “Ok?”

 

She turns around and walks towards the women’s bathroom. Leaving him stunned in her wake.

  

It’s late.

 

The drive back to Scranton seems interminable, especially since he and Karen decided to drive in separately- she wanted to get back to Scranton early to talk to her Landlord about letting her out of her lease early.  The interview had gone amazingly well and Jim was sure the job was his if he wanted it. Karen was confident about another lead at Corporate she had found and their lives seemed finally to be on the track he had been trying to move them onto for the past few months.

 

He was so relieved.

 

He had finally made a decision about his life and closing the door on that chapter of his life had felt like getting rid of the 400 pound gorilla that had been on his back since he moved back to Scranton.

 

Now he felt free, he felt at peace.

 

Seeing Karen in New York, finally happy to be in the city she loved so much had only solidified his decision.

 

It’s late.

 

By the time he pulls up to her apartment, he’s almost laughing. He’s giddy. He’s made the first adult decision in his life and he’s as giddy as an eight-year old- he doesn’t dwell on that fact.

 

When she opens the door, his hands are in her hair and he’s kissing her before she’s had a chance to respond. By the time she’s gotten over the initial surprise, his hands are already buried under her thin nightshirt and she’s pulling him in closer.

 

When he finally pulls back, her mouth is still parted and her eyes are half-lidded with desire.

 

“I couldn’t do it. The job was mine for the taking, and our relationship is perfect, but I can’t…I knew…I know that if I don’t give this thing between us a chance, a real chance then I’ll regret it, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but someday and for the rest of my life.”

She says she loves him and suddenly she’s pulling him back into her arms and his hands are back in her hair and apparently that’s enough for her and he doesn’t even have the chance to use the other line he practiced in the car ‘Here’s to continuing a beautiful friendship.’

 

But he doesn’t care because she’s so soft and warm and amazing and he can’t get enough of her. He’s finally done running.

 

You might say that Jim Halpert has thrown away his happiness, a promotion, and a relationship with a truly superior woman.

 

But right now he doesn’t give a fuck, he’s busy kissing Pam, the woman he’s always loved, senseless.

 

And surprisingly, that’s more than enough.

 

Chapter End Notes:
sigh...if only, I only let my optimism shine through fics. Send me some love.


fasterthansnakes is the author of 17 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 4 members. Members who liked Adult Decisions Can Set You Free also liked 2151 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans