- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Four chapters of angst and pain + one chapter of fluff = I hope they somewhat cancel each other out. Enjoy!

She was the first thing he saw when he woke, perched on the edge of the bed in her fuzzy robe, hair wrapped in a towel. She was stroking his hair and smiling. As soon as he reached a semi-conscious state, the previous night's activities started running through his mind and soon he was smiling right along with her.

She leaned down to place a soft kiss on his cheek. “Jim, you're gonna be late for work, babe!”

There was a twinkle in his eye as he replied, “I don't think I'm feeling very well today. How about you?”

She pretended to mull it over but the way her smile grew wider betrayed her thoughts. “Yeah, I think I feel a touch of something coming on. Something that might require a day in bed.”

She shrieked with laughter as he grabbed the sash of her robe and pulled her down next to him. “Hmmm... a day in bed? That sounds like a surefire remedy for what ails you.”

Then his face grew serious as he asked, “How do you feel today, Pam? Really.”

She ran a finger down his cheek thoughtfully, “I feel much better. I mean obviously it’s not like everything is going to magically fix itself overnight.” He nodded somberly. But she was grinning mischievously when she added, “But thanks to Dr. Halpert’s miracle cure, I think we could be onto the right course of therapy!”

He leaned over and said, low, “Well that’s good to know. Can the doctor do anything else for you today?”

“Actually, I can think of one big thing I’d like…”

He threw back the covers and looked up expectantly at her.

She laughed, “JIM! That's NOT what I meant! But since I see that you're up...” and she moved over him.

In one deft move he pulled the sash of her robe to open it and pulled her down onto him as he growled in her ear, “That's what she said...”

*******************************************************************************************
She walked across the bedroom towards the French doors. He was smiling, waiting for her to notice. When she did, he saw her bounce on her toes and clap her hands like she often did when she was very excited. He couldn’t help but to think how adorable it was that Annie did the same thing as her mother.

She turned back to him, beaming. “Jim - there’s a terrace!”

He returned her smile, “I know. When I heard about that I knew we had to see this house.” He already knew what her answer would be as he asked, “You like?”

She nodded, “I love! Come in here, the only room left to see is the master bathroom.”

He followed her in and then he picked her up and sat her on the counter next to the sink. He could see his reflection in the big wall mirror behind her.

“So, is this the house?” he asked her softly.

She wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him close as she replied, “Yeah, definitely. I love this place!” She sighed. “Let’s go back to your parent’s house and let the kids know.”

“It’s going to be a good Thanksgiving this year,” he smiled.

“Thank you, Jim.”

He was puzzled. “For what?”

She cupped his face in her hands and looked into his eyes. “For agreeing to move back to Pennsylvania. For uprooting our lives to find a new job and a new house. For giving me my terrace. And, you know, for loving me.”

“Pam, really, you don’t have to thank me. I mean, we knew we wanted to move back here eventually. And wherever you want to go is fine with me. I’d follow you anywhere. I love you.”

She sighed, “I love you too, Jim”

Suddenly, he used his foot to kick closed the bathroom door and she noticed the large mirror on the back of it. There were now mirrors on both sides of them and they smiled at each other’s reflection.

“This is an interesting feature don't you think?” he said slyly, hands running over her back and nuzzling her neck.

She ran her hands through his hair and kissed his cheek, ”Oh definitely! I can see myself really enjoying this room!”

She took in a deep breath as he slowly slid his hands up under her sweater.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the bedroom door. Pam looked at him wide-eyed.

“Mr. & Mrs. Halpert? How are we doing in there?”

Jim winked at Pam and without moving from where he was standing, leaned over to pull the bathroom door open and called out, "The house is great. We're going to take it!"

"Well, good! Why don't you come downstairs and we'll write it up?

He looked into Pam’s eyes, a devilish grin on his face as he told the realtor, "We'll be down in a few minutes!  We're just - uh - examining the plumbing!”

Pam’s shoulders quaked as she stifled a giggle into his chest.

"Well, take your time then! I'll be in the kitchen!" They heard her footsteps as she walked away from the door.

"That ought to buy us a little time!" he smiled as she moved in to press her lips to his. He pulled away long enough to murmur, “Besides, I really think that before we sign anything we need to test the integrity of this counter.”

***************************************************************************************

It was his favorite time of the week. They were all gathered together for Sunday breakfast.
Elizabeth was pouring the juice and talking about her basketball game from the previous day. Ben and Annie were eating cereal and kicking each other under the table. Jim was manning the waffle iron.

Pam came in the front door, stamping snow from her boots, a grocery bag clutched in one hand. She dropped it on the counter and said, “Halpert, I can’t believe you started making waffles and didn’t even check to see if we had any syrup!”

He smiled at her lovingly. Her nose was red and as she pulled off her hat, the static made her hair stick out all over. She looked adorable and he knew the look he was giving her would pretty much absolve him of any anger she felt about having to venture out on a cold December morning.

She hung up her coat and gave Jim a hug from behind. She held onto him a second too long causing all three of her children to start their familiar refrain of, “Oooooohhhhh! Gross! Mom! Dad!”

Pam didn’t let go of him but she did turn and stick her tongue out at the three of them.

“Mom! You always yell at me when I do that to Beth!” Ben, of course, wouldn’t let it go.

He’s just like his father, Pam thought, rolling her eyes at her son.
 
Jim turned to face her and flashing a grin at them all, gathered Pam into his arms and kissed her full on the mouth. She pulled away, laughing.

Annie declared, “You two are the grossest mommy and daddy out of all my friends!”

Jim laughed and flashed Pam a look. “You hear that, honey? We’re the grossest out of all of them!”

He grabbed the plate of waffles and joined them at the table, where they sat for a long time eating together, talking and laughing. Elizabeth was clearing the table and Ben was helping to load the dishwasher when there was a knock at the door.

Annie ran to the front door and yelled back, “It’s Grandma!”

Jim’s mom appeared in the kitchen,  Annie tugging at her hand, and announced, “You children better get your stuff together! The movie starts very soon and Grandpa is waiting in the car!”

The kids scattered to gather their coats and boots and mittens. Jim gave his mother a kiss on the cheek.

“Hey, mom, thanks for getting the kids out of here for a few hours so we can get a little Christmas shopping done and wrap the presents.”

“Your dad and I are happy to do it, Jim! We’ll get them dinner too so you and Pam have enough time.”

Jim grinned at her, “You’re the best, mom!”

Annie ran into the room with her coat and one boot on looking worried. “Daddy?”

Jim leaned over to zip up her coat, “Yes, pumpkin?”

“Does Santa know where to bring our presents this year? I mean, what if he takes them to Florida?”

He picked her up and gave her a kiss on the nose, “Santa knows we moved, kiddo! He knows everything. And don’t forget, he knows if you’ve been naughty or nice so be good for Grandma!” She nodded solemnly.

Just then, Pam came back in the room with Elizabeth, Ben, and Annie’s missing boot.

After seeing the kids off, Jim and Pam dropped onto the couch. He turned to her. “Well, we have a few hours! What should we do first?

Pam leaned into him and he wrapped his arms around her. She looked up into his eyes and said, “Well, I wrapped most of the presents last night and we really only have to run to one store, so I think we’re pretty caught up on things…”

Jim grinned, “What are we going to do with all this free time then?”

She grabbed his hand and pulled him off the couch. “I have a few good ideas.”

“Such as?”

She gave him a seductive smile, pulling him towards the stairs, and whispered, “Follow me.”

When they got to the bedroom, she began to kiss him but he held her hands and pulled back for a moment. She looked at him quizzically.

“Pam? Are you happy? Any regrets?”

“Why? What’s the matter?” She looked worried.

“I just want to make sure. I want you to be as happy as I can make you. We’ve been here for almost a year and I was just thinking about when you asked me to move back. I thought about all the reasons why we moved and I want to be careful that we don’t let it happen again.”

“I know, Jim. But believe me, I’m very happy here. Remember how excited I was to leave Scranton when we moved to California?”

He nodded, “Oh yes! You had our bags packed before I even officially accepted the transfer!”

She laughed. “Well, it’s almost like I had to leave here to really appreciate what we had. But I don’t regret leaving and I don’t regret anything that’s happened even if it was hard or painful because it’s part of us and part of our relationship. And Jim, I’ve never ever regretted a single thing about loving you. Choosing to live my life with you was the best thing I ever did. Do you have any regrets?”

He shook his head. “Not a one.”

She pressed herself closer to him. “And are you happy?”

He kissed her forehead and smiled. “Yes, most definitely.”

She tilted her head and grinned at her husband. “I bet I know how to make you happier.”

He doubted he could be any happier but as they fell onto the bed together, he whispered in her ear, “Show me.”

 



Par5 is the author of 29 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 8 members. Members who liked Bridging the Gap also liked 442 other stories.
This story is part of the series, Happily Ever After. The previous story in the series is Quality Time.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans