- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Wrote this after reading a particular tidibit on "The Client" from Season 2 DVD. Hope you enjoy early Jam.

She didn’t like tall men.

 

Which was one of those things she cited as her ability to “see beyond the surface” when she started dating him.

 

Or maybe it was the way she sometimes (often) felt claustrophobic next to someone who could swallow her whole, efface her very existence just by standing next to her. But maybe that was the problem – that men never stood by her, always in front of, next to. Near. Her father, her brother. Roy.

 

Until she met him. And she remembered not noticing his height at all, maybe because she didn’t feel suffocated. Just safe. Not protected by some outdated gallantry, but freed. Free to protect herself.

 

And all this just from knowing someone for five minutes.

 

Weird.

 

***************************************

 

“Lunch room?”

 

“I actually didn’t bring anything.” Fuck.

 

He scratched under his chin, mockingly pensive.

 

“Newbie.”

 

“In my defense, I’m terrible at packing lunches.”

 

He pouted his lower lip, then sighed exasperatingly. Like mock disdain.

 

“Want half a ham-and-cheese?”

 

“Ugh.”

 

He smiled. Nice teeth.

 

***************************************

After little deliberation, they decided to catch a quick lunch. But they ended up splitting the ham-and-cheese in his car on the way to Poor Richard’s.

 

She’d protested a bit when he gave her more than half.

 

“That’s too much.”

 

“I’m just gonna toss it anyway.”

 

“Eating disorder, much?”

 

He pulled a serious face.

 

“Anorexia, in fact.”

 

“Oh, that is not a joking matter.”

 

His concern was endearing.

 

“Whoa, I’m sorry, did you – “

 

“No.”

 

He laughed, trying hard to keep the last bits of his meager lunch from spewing forth, spewing out. She chuckled.

 

Such a dork.”

 

***************************************

He looked at her like he saw her. Saw through her. She felt naked.

 

“I’m sorry, I didn’t see a ring.”

 

She smiled, weakly. Wanly.

 

“We can’t afford one yet. But Roy – “

 

“Yea, no, I was just – you know, curious.”

 

“Yea.”

 

The pregnant pause was suffocating. And suddenly she realized how tall he was. And then:

 

“Listen, have I told you about Dwight?”

 

***************************************

As she sat back at her desk, she felt some sense of relief. He’d made some quip about it being a “friendly date.”

 

“Right,” she’d said.

 

“It was good.”

 

“Oh yea. The best.”

 

He smiled. Nice teeth.



proudgirl is the author of 6 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked Best also liked 135 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans