- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Takes place...after. 

The Texas sun was shining, and Jim walked out his front door with two mugs of coffee. Pam sat on their front porch watching the kids play in the yard. The high for the day was going to be around 65, although it was a little cooler than that so far. She reached for her coffee with a smile, pulling an old, threadbare cardigan around her. He hadn’t realized she still had it.


“So...the nerf guns not a big hit, huh?” Jim said deadpan, as their children shrieked with laughter and shot at each other with glee.


Pam smiled. “They like them a little bit, I think.” She kept her eyes on the kids and sipped her drink. “I think they liked all of their presents, actually.”


“Yes. I think they are having a very Merry Christmas.”  Jim paused and looked at his wife. “What about you? Are you having a Merry Christmas?”


Pam met his eyes, still with the same half smile. “Yes. Of course. I love my presents, the kids are having fun, it’s a gorgeous day...it’s just...it still doesn’t feel like Christmas with this weather, you know?”


Jim nodded his head. It was an old topic between them. They’d both grown up in Pennsylvania, with rough winters and plenty of snow. And although they were delighted and grateful for the milder weather here for most of the winter months, it was still strange to celebrate Christmas in a t-shirt and a light sweater.


Pam took another sip and continued. “I was looking at our Christmas decorations this morning. They seem so out of place, here. I mean, Santa is in a fur coat and winter boots, and our tree would never grow in this climate if it weren’t plastic, and why on earth do we have icicle lights?” She shrugged. “I know I sound crazy. I love it here. It’s just...still hard on Christmas.”


“I know. But going home for Christmas is just so hard with the kids. Maybe when they’re older and they just want...gift cards? Cash? Stuff we don’t have to pack?” Jim shrugged, and Pam laughed.


Jim was relieved at the sound of her laughter. They had had ups and downs, but he always felt better when he knew he could make her laugh. “I have one more present for you, by the way,” he said.


“You do? Did we miss it under the tree?” Pam looked surprised. She was always very vigilant about the gifts under the tree-- to make sure everything was fair and even.


But this wasn’t an oversight. This was a deliberate surprise. “No, I wanted to wait. I thought about giving it to you last night, but then we got busy with the last of the wrapping so I thought I’d wait until the kids were distracted. Hold on…”


Jim went back into the house and came out with a wrapped box. Pam stared at Jim for a long moment before smiling and taking the box. She tore into it impatiently-- she never had been one to open gifts neatly. Inside the wrapping paper was a plain box, which she opened to find…


“A teapot?”


“It’s a real bone china teapot. The rest of the tea set is in the house. I thought you could use an upgrade.”


Pam smiled up at Jim, her eyes shining. “It’s gorgeous. Look at those beautiful purple flowers! I love it.”


Jim leaned over and looked into his wife’s eyes. “It comes with bonus gifts,” he said softly.


Pam opened the teapot to find it stuffed full of treasures. A yogurt lid. An origami swan. A set of earbuds for a device that had been obsolete for years. Three newspaper clippings-- a wedding announcement and two birth announcements. Two plastic baggies, with a tiny baby tooth in each one. On and on, artifacts of their years together.


And among these items of historical significance, one new item: a candy necklace.


“Thank you. I love it. I love you,” Pam said, wiping tears from her cheeks.


“Merry Christmas, Pam,” Jim said to his wife.




nqllisi is the author of 87 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked If the Fates Allow also liked 2102 other stories.
This story is part of the series, Secret Santa Fic Exchange 2018. The previous story in the series is Holiday Rendezvous . The next story in the series is Peppermint.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans