- Text Size +
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

Running

I'm so tired of running.

I ran around in circles for years. Around you and around you, but you only ever looked out of the corner of your eye.

I tried to run to Australia, but I can't walk on water (making you smile is the only miracle I've ever been good at).

I ran into your arms, and though your lips were soft and yielding the rest of you was like a brick wall and I crashed against you and I was broken.

I ran all the way to Connecticut. I wasn't in very good shape, so by the time I got there all I could do was try to catch my breath.

I think I ran right over Karen.

But today, you looked up at me from under a sombrero, and your smile held the echo of poker chips and promises.

I've been running on a treadmill all along.



nqllisi is the author of 87 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Running also liked 708 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans