- Text Size +

From: Pbeesly

Sent: June 6, 2006 4:05 PM

To: Jhalpert

Subject: 6/06/06

Dear Jim,

I am writing to you from the lamest party in a long history of lame parties at Dunder Mifflin, Scranton. First of all, Michael insisted on an Apocalypse theme, so Angela refused to have anything to do with the planning, and is currently boycotting the party, even though it is actually her birthday. When looking for a place to be other than here, I suggested the roof. And then Dwight disappeared shortly thereafter. So, one can only imagine what they are doing up there, but it probably doesn’t include grilled cheese sandwiches. (Their loss)

Anyway, down here in the office we have Michael dressed as Damian from The Omen. However, since Damien pretty much looks like everybody else, Michael’s’ costume mostly consists of him going around telling people that he is Damien from the Omen. I really think he should have gone for the head tattoo, myself. The refreshments consist of Devil Dogs, some sort of a horrible red Jell-O concoction that Phyllis saw on a Halloween episode of Good Eats, and my contribution, pretzels. Okay..my heart really wasn’t in it. Add a couple of black streamers, and there you have it. Oh, and of course we have a birthday cake for Angela, but since she won’t come down, it’s uncertain when we are going to serve it. I tore myself away from the excitement and came over here to write to you.

That goat story is hilarious. Unless, of course, you are lying through your teeth.

Oops..."Damien" has just announced that Angela or no Angela we are going to have her birthday cake. It is mint chocolate chip after all, and ice cream cake waits for no man (or woman).

Love Pam

 

 

 

From: Jhalpert

Sent: June 6, 2006 9:02 PM

To: Pbeesly

Subject: re: 6/06/06

Dear Pam,

Well, 6/6/06 is almost over, and it looks like the world has survived after all. Mitch in my office was a little disappointed, I think, but you can’t please everyone.

I’m sorry that your party was so lame. Actually ours was really good. (Sorry) We didn’t go for any theme…everybody just brought in different kinds of food. I brought chips and dip, because my kitchen is less than functioning right now. Maggie, in accounting, brought in these amazing Swedish meatballs. And there was some other really good stuff, too. Anyway, it was mostly a chance for everybody to get to know me a little better, and vice versa. Of the people I work with now, I think I really like Pete, one of our salesmen. He’s a really good guy, about my age, with a good sense of humor. I was telling him about Dwight, and some (a very edited version) of the pranks you and I pulled on him over the years. Maybe we can go out with him and his wife, sometime, when you come to visit me in Stamford.

Anyway, I am sitting here in my new empty apartment, wishing I had a phone that works. Tomorrow night, for sure. I’ve been simultaneously unpacking my boxes, and packing for Australia. It’s a little confusing...I may end up landing in Sydney with a suitcase full of pots and pans.

I’m not too sure what to bring, clothes-wise. According to what I’ve googled, the weather this time of year is in the 50s, so I guess jeans and sweaters, etc. Not exactly the beach weather I was hoping for. But it should be warmer when I get to the barrier reef, since it’s farther north. I am snorkling for sure.. even if it’s snowing.

Speaking of snow…I was unpacking some stuff from my desk drawer at work and I discovered a manila folder that I had just stuck in a box when I packed up my desk. Well, I opened it and found a treasure. That sketch you did of me the very first week you started at D-M. Do you remember that? I think you did it that day when it snowed and we had the pizza party. It’s me sitting at my desk, kinda leaning back in my chair, with one hand behind my head and one on the armrest. I have kind of a quizzical look on my face. I wonder what I was thinking. It’s a great sketch.

Do you remember how miserable you were that first day? I’ll never forget it. And then somehow, the next thing I know you were helping me out with some prank against Dwight...I forget which one it was. Was it the nickels? That was a classic. And that’s when it became you and me against the (Dunder Mifflin) world.

Anyway that sketch is going up on my wall, as soon as I hit the frame store.

I guess I should go. I’m leaving really early Thursday morning for LA. I wasn’t going to bring my laptop with me (hello…vacation!) but Josh asked me to, just in case they needed to get in touch with me…emergencies only, he assured me. But the good news is that I will be able to check my e-mail everyday. You are the one person I would actually like to hear from while I’m away. The rest of the world can just go away.

At least I’ll have my phone tomorrow night. I really need to talk to you before I leave. I miss you.

PS: What happened with Dwight and Angela?

Jim

 

 

From: Pbeesly

Sent: June 7, 2006 10:45 AM

To: Jhalpert

Subject: Dwight/Angela

Dear Jim,

Well, it’s official! Dwight and Angela are engaged! She came in this morning positively glowing. And Dwight is crowing like a rooster. It’s the funniest thing. They are really actually kind of cute. And I never realized that Angela is so pretty. They’ve already set a date for the wedding. (!) August 26. So mark your calendar, since I fully expect to be invited, and I’ll need a date.

Anyway Michael is totally beside himself. I don’t know whether he’s happy for Dwight or totally jealous. I’m leaning towards jealous. First of all, he had no inkling that they were even together. I thought his jaw was literally going to hit the floor when Dwight made his big announcement. So he feels all betrayed by Dwight’s not confiding in him. However, given Michael’s track record with secrets, can you blame him? But Dwight did make up for it by asking Michael to be his Best Man. You know I could offer to be a bridesmaid...I already have a dress…three of them in fact. Though Angela might consider them gaudy...since they aren’t gray.

Oh, and then there’s Kelly. Totally devastated that prissy, stuck up Angela is getting married before she is. I’ve been consoling her about that all morning. When Dwight made his announcement, I think that Ryan turned about 20 different shades of pale. I don’t know what to tell Kelly. And when exactly did I become Dear Abby?

I wish you were here to experience all of the insanity. I can’t describe it all that well.

I remember that sketch, and that crazy first week. I think it was the nickel thing. It was the first practical joke I ever helped with in my life. And you were so nice to me that first week. I’ll never forget that.

I hope your phone is up and working tomorrow night. I’d like to talk to you too, before you go. E-mail is nice, but it’s not the same. I’m sorry you have to bring your laptop with you on vacation. I guess that’s what happens when you become a big important executive. But I’m happy that you will be in touch. I miss you already and you haven’t even gone.

Pam

 

 

From: Jhalpert

Sent: June 7, 2006 11:30 AM

To: Pbeesly

Subject: re: Dwight/Angela

Dear Pam,

So they did it! I’ll have to congratulate Dwight...as much as it pains me to do it. That wedding should be one for the books. I am marking the date on my calendar, even as we speak. I wouldn’t miss it for the world. But wait...I know just what you’re going to say…and I promise...no pranks. A man’s wedding is a serious thing, and I wouldn’t do anything to mess it up. Besides, I don’t sit next to Dwight anymore… so I no longer get that overwhelming urge to strangle him. So, I’ll be good. Though I may have a couple of suggestions for his ushers regarding his car…but that’s it, I swear.

As for Ryan and Kelly, I don’t know. I never hear from Ryan. And he wasn’t exactly talkative when I was there. I tried to tell Kelly once that Ryan just wasn’t into her, but she wouldn’t listen. And then he went and made a liar out of me, anyway, by continuing to see her.

Office relationships are tricky...no wonder HR is so down on them. They don’t always turn out like Dwight and Angela, or you and me. Some of them turn out like Catherine and Tom. Poor Tom. I found a Mass card from his funeral in that manila envelope also.

But hey...I’ve got some good news also. Our good friend, Jan, called me this morning. It seems that there is this organization called The National Paper Trades Association, of which Dunder Mifflin is a member. Anyway, every year in September, they have this huge national convention. This year it’s in Chicago. And I’m invited. I asked Jan...Why have I never heard of this? Wouldn’t Michael go to this every year? And she said that usually only Corporate attends, with an occasional Regional Manager being invited. Josh Porter went last year. Anyway, Michael has never been invited. I realized why when I actually imagined Michael at a national convention. I’m sure Jan can imagine it too. Anyway, I gather that, as a Regional Manager, it is somewhat of an honor to be invited. I have no idea why they invited me. It’s not like I’ve had a chance to prove myself as a manager, or anything.

But anyway, I asked her if I could bring you, and she said, of course. There are all sorts of programs for the "spouses" and a big dinner dance. You could break out one of those bridesmaid’s dresses. Just kidding...don’t shoot me. But it is three days in a really nice hotel (!) and I’ve never been to Chicago…have you? And we have never danced together. Because, as we both know...swaying isn’t dancing.

Anyway, the dates are September 15-18th, if you want to go. It’s a weekend, so you’ll only have to take Friday off.

Back to work.

Love Jim

 

 

 

 

 

From: Pbeesly

Sent: June 7, 2006 12:10 PM

To: Jhalpert

Subject: NPTA

Dear Jim,

I know all about the NPTA. D-M gets lots of correspondence from them. I know about the conventions, also, but I have learned never, ever to mention them in Michael’s presence. That sounds like a lot of fun, and I’d love to go. I don’t think I’ll tell Michael where I’m going, however.

It nice to have so many things to look forward to.

Oh, by the way…I finally responded to Dan’s E-mail.

Love, Pam

 

From: Pbeesly

Sent: June 7, 2006 1:05 PM

To: LegalDan

Subject re: Hello

Cc: Jhalpert

Dear Dan,

Thank you so much for you kind e-mail the other day. Jim is a great guy, and it was fun to meet such an old friend of his.

As for the goat story, Jim told me that weeks ago. He wanted me to know about this somewhat sordid incident from his past, just in case the records are ever unsealed. To tell you the truth, I’m still in a state of shock. I can’t believe that the two of you aren’t still in jail! I guess it’s a good thing your Dad’s a judge, huh? And what about Gertrude? (The goat…in case you forgot her name!) Did either of you ever consider her feelings? Personally, I’m disgusted with the both of you.

Once again, it was nice meeting you.

Pam

 

From: LegalDan

Sent: June 7, 2006 2:03 PM

To: Pbeesly

Subject re: re: Hello

Heh! Touché, Beesly.

Dan

 

 

From: Jhalpert

Sent: June 7, 2006 2:34 PM

To: Pbeesly

Subject: re: re: re: Hello

Have I told you lately how much I love you?

Jim

 

 

 

 

 

Note: The National Paper Trades Association is a real organization, of which a very good friend of mine is the President. He always complains that The Office never mentions the NPTA, even though D-M would certainly be a member, and he insists that their annual convention would make a great episode. Anyway, this fic is a shout out to Bill and the NPTA.



Jodithgrace is the author of 17 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Dunder Mifflin Dot Com Part Three also liked 1625 other stories.
This story is part of the series, Jam Sessions. The previous story in the series is Sleeping Arrangements. The next story in the series is Toast With Jam.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans