- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

Here it is, the epic conclusion to the story. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it (though hopefully it won't take you as long to do). As always, thank you for taking the time to read.

 

 

ACT FOUR


INT. The Office, Main Office

The act opens on an establishing shot of the Office, which is decorated for the party, signaling that one day has passed from Act Three. The theme of “cool” or “cold” is represented in the decorations. Handmade paper snowflakes are taped liberally to the walls and windows, especially around or near the Conference Room. There are several signs, which are a combination of professionally and homemade ones that announce that the party is sponsored by Vance Refrigeration. Additionally, several of the office employees can be seen eating Snow-Cones, while others are drinking an obviously clear liquid. The centerpiece of the Main Office is a partially blowup Snowman decoration which was built to be put on front lawns at Christmas time and which is now threatening to take the ceiling off.

The camera focuses on JIM and DWIGHT who are both standing near the stars chart, between the Conference Room and MICHAEL’s Office. DWIGHT is wearing a black bulky looking Carhartt jacket, and eating a Snow-Cone, while JIM is dressed normally and is sipping from his drink.

 

JIM

That’s a nice jacket Dwight.

 

DWIGHT

(scoffs)

I know.

 

There is a momentary pause as JIM sips his drink once again, while DWIGHT exaggeratedly bites into his Snow-Cone.

 

JIM

You a little hot in that?

 

DWIGHT

No.

 

JIM

(nods to himself)

Right. [beat] How many Snow-Cones have you eaten?

 

DWIGHT

Four [beat] ‘teen.

 

JIM

Yeah.

 

DWIGHT

I’m saying hydrated for the final push. I’ve got eleven stars…

 

JIM

(interrupting)

I’ve got thirteen…

 

DWIGHT

(re-interrupting)

…Holly’s got fourteen, she only needs one more.

(looks at JIM seriously)

We can’t let that happen.

 

JIM

(casually taking another sip)

I don’t know, everyone seems to like her.

 

 DWIGHT

(matter-of-factly)

Angela doesn’t.

 

JIM

(looks slightly surprised by DWIGHT’s mentioning of ANGELA)

Well [beat] yeah.

 

DWIGHT

Neither do I. She’s shifty. Last Friday she wouldn’t file a complaint I made because it was past five.

 

JIM

(curiously)

What were you complaining about?

 

 At JIM’s question, DWIGHT suddenly looks uncomfortable and is unable to make eye contact with him. The camera lingers on the two of them for several moments. As it does we see JIM smile faintly and walk away towards the Kitchen. Meanwhile, DWIGHT, after surreptitiously looking to see if JIM is gone, takes a small step forward towards the star chart, unzips his jacket a little, and takes another big bite of his Snow-Cone. 

 

JIM TALKING HEAD [Conference Room]

Yeah, last Friday.

(smiles a little bit to the camera in spite of himself)

Um, I may or may not

(Talking Head becomes voiceover on flashback of JIM doing the exact act that he is coyly talking about possibly doing. It ultimately ends with him looking at the camera and smiling)

…have super glued some My Little Ponies to Dwight’s keyboard and monitor [beat] and desk [beat] and chair. Possibly.

(CUT BACK to Office, END FLASHBACK)

Um, but in my defense, I was bored. [beat] Hypothetically.

 

 

DWIGHT TALKING HEAD [Conference Room]

(upset)

They’re health hazards! Every single one of them.

(As he names them, he holds each up to the camera)

Shenanigans, Peachy Pie, Rainbow Flash, Bumblesweet.

(pauses for a moment in frustration and then holds up one last Pony)

I could have choked on Toola-Roola!

 

 

CUT TO:

INT. The Office, Kitchen


PAM is standing in close-proximity to KELLY, who is talking almost without stopping to breathe about RYAN’s upcoming trial, and the Juicy Couture Tracksuit she’s picked out to wear when she visits him in jail. PAM continues to take sips of her drink while KELLY talks at her. After a moment or two, the door to the Kitchen opens and the cameras swings around to see JIM enter, in a continuation of the previous scene. After taking another moment to size up the situation, he intervenes.

 

 

KELLY

(to PAM, not realizing JIM had entered the room)

…so, yeah, it’s powder-blue and so hot. I mean it totally looks great with the sunglasses I bought.

 

JIM

(interrupting)

Hey Kelly.

 

KELLY

Oh, hey Jim!

 

JIM

Um, Darryl is the Conference Room asking for you.

 

KELLY

Oh, okay, bye Pam!

 

 KELLY quickly leaves, leaving JIM and PAM alone in the Kitchen.

 

PAM

(with a teasing dramatic tone)

My God. Where have you been?

 

JIM

(motions towards Main Office)

Dwight’s wearing a winter coat and sweating Red Dye Number Nine.

 

PAM

Nice.

 

JIM

Yeah.

(there is a pause between them of  several beats)

 So, only one more week.

 

PAM

(inhales and nods slightly)

I know, I can’t believe it. I think the longest I’ve ever been away from this place is like a week and a half [beat] wow that’s sad.

 

JIM

(smiles)

You’re just dedicated.

 

PAM

(rolls her eyes)

Yeah, dedicated. That’s one way to put it.

 

JIM

(trying to lighten the mood)

Well, hey, don’t worry about it because I’ve already made sure Michael knows your cell phone number, so it’ll be like you never left.

 

PAM

(laughs a bit but notices JIM is not)

Wait. Did you [beat] you didn’t?

 

 JIM noncommittally shrugs his shoulders at PAM’s words, and smirks at her a little.

 

PAM

(now staring intently at JIM, but continuing teasingly)

Jim. I don’t want to have to leave for New York single.

 

JIM

(in mock-thought)

Mmmmmm, I don’t think you’ll be leaving like that.

 

PAM

Oh really?

 

JIM

No, I think it’ll be the opposite in fact.

 

PAM

(tries to maintain a teasing tone, but there is an obvious shift towards trepidation)

Opposite?

 

JIM

Yeah, because [beat] oh you’ve finished your drink, let me get that.

(JIM reaches out and takes the glass from PAM who doesn’t really move)

 

JIM turns with PAM’s drink in hand, which is in fact not empty, and heads back to the Main Office through the door. The camera follows him slightly, but then pans back to PAM who is staring at the doorway, but then turns towards the camera with a nervous smile.

 

PAM TALKING HEAD [Conference Room]

(obviously a little rattled)

No, I’m not going to [beat] I mean, no. Look, whatever happens [beat] you know? Yeah, so…

(exhales sharply)

…whatever.

 

 

 

CUT TO:

INT. The Office, Conference Room

The inside of the Conference Room is likewise decorated for the party. Snowflakes dangle from white string attached to the ceiling, white streamers hang as well, and the table is covered in a white tablecloth. Notably, setting on the table are two mini-fridges, with small plaques above them noting their donation from Vance Refrigeration, and each contains the ingredients for the Snow-Cones.

 Several members of the Office are milling about inside the room, including ANGELA, MICHAEL, HOLLY, OSCAR, and STANLEY. Notably absent however, is ANDY.

 

 MICHAEL

(eating a Snow-Cone haphazardly)

Mmm. This is…

(part of the Snow-Cone falls to the ground, and he looks down at it sadly)

…oops.

(looks back up to everyone)

Phyllis, I bequeath you two stars for this party [beat] it isn’t as lame as I thought it would be.

 

PHYLLIS

(cautiously)

Just two, Michael? I—

 

HOLLY

(interrupting)

Oh, that’s nice of you.

 

MICHAEL

(nodding to himself)

Yeah, it is isn’t it?

 

PHYLLIS

But, I thought—

 

As PHYLLIS attempts to bring up the subject of how many stars she should get for organizing the party, and for Vance Refrigeration’s sponsorship, DWIGHT comes into the room rather animatedly.

 

DWIGHT

(concernedly)

Did you give Holly a star?!

 

There is a brief pause from everyone in the room as they look at DWIGHT.

 

ANGELA

(sternly)

No, Dwight.

 

DWIGHT

(to everyone)

Oh [beat]

(turning to ANGELA)

Hello Angela.

 

ANGELA

Hello Dwight.

 

The camera stays momentarily on a wide shot of the Conference Room, and the reactions to DWIGHT’s disturbance. They primarily consist of head shaking, eye rolls, and quickly returning to whatever they were doing before he came in. It then changes to a closer shot of DWIGHT and ANGELA, while the noise of other conversation or of activity is muted. ANGELA is standing near the door, away from everyone else, while DWIGHT is standing behind her left shoulder. She doesn’t turn around during the length of their conversation.

 

DWIGHT

This is a nice party, Angela.

 

ANGELA

(dejectedly)

Phyllis organized it.

 

DWIGHT

(quickly recovering)

But not as nice as you would have made it.

 

There is a momentary pause of awkwardness between them, with neither knowing what to say next. However, it soon passes as DWIGHT takes a step closer to ANGELA and speaks to her in an almost whisper, which persists throughout their conversation.

 

DWIGHT

I’m sure you would have made a proper party.

 

ANGELA doesn’t say anything, but it is clear from her reaction that DWIGHT’s words have affected her somewhat.

 

DWIGHT (cont.)

One that was organized efficiently.

 

ANGELA

(touching her own neck slightly, but still trying to appear unaffected)

Yes [beat] I’m sure I would have.

 

DWIGHT

With lists on index cards and flow charts.

 

ANGELA

(with a slight tremor to her voice)

Flow charts?

 

DWIGHT

(stepping even closer to her now till he is almost whispering in her ear)

Color coded.

 

ANGELA

(said softly with tremor)

Oh.

 

The camera suddenly shifts to a wide-shot of the Conference Room and to everyone staring at DWIGHT and ANGELA. There are several seconds of silence, wherein the two of them notice that they have an audience, and ANGELA blushingly leaves the room in a hurry.

 

MICHAEL

(disdainfully after a moment)

Dwight, three stars off for creeping Angela out. Ugh.

 

 

 

 

CUT TO:

INT. The Office, Kitchen


JIM and PAM are sitting at the small table adjacent to the refrigerator talking to one another. Almost instantly, the door from the Main Office is heard opening and the camera swings over to see a red-faced ANGELA storming through the doors. As soon as she sees JIM and PAM she stops short, unsure of what to do for a moment. She looks at the camera and then proceeds to go to the refrigerator as a cover. The camera then swings back to JIM and PAM who look curiously at one another and to the camera.

 

PAM

Um, are you okay Angela?

 

Before she can answer the door opens again and DWIGHT comes in briskly. With the door to the refrigerator open, he does not see JIM and PAM, and addresses ANGELA.

 

DWIGHT

Monkey, I’m sorry but you—

 

ANGELA

(interrupting)

Dwight! Not in front of—

 

ANGELA stops abruptly, and motions in the direction of both the table and camera.  DWIGHT looks and sees JIM and PAM for the first time. The camera swings over to the table, where both JIM and PAM look increasingly uncomfortable. It then swings back to the two of them.

 

DWIGHT

(hesitatingly)

I-

 

Without waiting for him to finish, ANGELA quickly goes into the Women’s Bathroom to escape the moment, resolutely refusing to look at the camera as she does so. After a second or two, DWIGHT takes a step towards the Bathroom as well, as if to follow her in.

 

JIM

Dwight, I don’t—

 

At JIM’s words, DWIGHT stops moving towards the Women’s Bathroom, and looks at JIM and PAM.

 

PAM

(softly and after a quick uncomfortable glance at the cameras)

Maybe you should give her a moment, Dwight.

 

As DWIGHT’s weighs PAM’s suggestion, the door from the Main Office is heard to open once again and the tension and drama of the situation is broken as MICHAEL comes in smiling.

 

MICHAEL

(excitedly)

Good news! Operation Morale Boost [beat] Lift has been achieved!

 

The camera swings back to DWIGHT, PAM, and JIM none of whom are smiling or look happy at all as a result of the situation with ANGELA. MICHAEL doesn’t seem to notice however.

 

MICHAEL (cont.)

(happily)

Everyone back to the office.

 

Without waiting for a response from anyone, MICHAEL turns and goes back into the Main Office. With a look towards the Bathroom door, DWIGHT reluctantly follows him, while JIM and PAM get up from the table and trail behind as well.

 

 

CUT TO:

INT. The Office, Main Office

Everyone, excluding ANGELA, is now assembled in the Main Office. With Snow-Cones, and drinks in hand, they alternate between sitting at their respective desks and standing. The camera focuses in on MICHAEL, who is in front of the star chart and grinning.

 

MICHAEL

(excitedly)

Alright, I want to thank you all for coming.

 

There is a brief pause as several people, including JIM and PAM, look at each other in confusion at MICHAEL’s words. Others like MEREDITH and STANLEY don’t seem to notice.

 

MICHAEL (cont.)

(said somewhat dramatically)

I am happy to announce that the winner of the contest, and the week paid vacation is…

(turns around to face the star chart and puts fifteen and final star in HOLLY’s column)

Holly!

At MICHAEL’s words, there is hesitant and somewhat half-hearted applause from everyone. For a moment the camera focuses in on a clearly embarrassed and slightly bashful HOLLY, who is smiling. It then returns to MICHAEL.

 

MICHAEL

(genuinely)

Only here for a couple of weeks and already doing more than whats-his-name ever did.

 

OSCAR

Toby?

 

MICHAEL

I don’t remember [beat] 

(looks at camera for a moment)

Anyway! Great job Holly.

 

HOLLY

Thank you, Michael.

 

At HOLLY’s words, her and MICHAEL share a protracted moment of eye contact, which is not enough to garner a reaction from anyone else, but enough to be noticeable. Eventually, MICHAEL breaks it, but HOLLY’s eyes remain on him for a second longer.

 

MICHAEL

(slightly rattled, but slips back into previous tone as he talks)

Right. And, there’s also second and third prizes too. Uh,…

(turns around again to face star chart)

okay, so second place, with some delicious ‘za, is Jim!

 

This time nobody claps, except PAM, who does so lightly. She stops embarrassingly when she realizes she’s the only one doing it. JIM shakes his head mockingly at her, and she smiles and punches him lightly on the arm.

 

MICHAEL

And third place, with a hug [beat] probably from Pam, is Andy.

 

ANDY

Yes!!

(does a fist-pump in the air)

I knew buying everybody Koosh balls was worth it! Morale…

(mimes next word with his hands, while raising the pitch of his voice)

higher.

 

 MICHAEL

(pauses for an awkward moment after ANDY’s words, but then continues triumphantly)

You know what everyone? Just [beat] take the rest of the day off…

 

The camera quickly moves from MICHAEL to the clock near the door that leads to the Kitchen and zooms in, showing that its 4:41, and therefore there’s only nineteen more minutes left in the workday anyway. It then returns to MICHAEL.

 

 MICHAEL (cont.)

…morale is too high to work. Take a Snow-Cone for the road, on Phyllis…

(points to PHYLLIS)

 

The camera follows MICHAEL’s gesture and pans over to a clearly annoyed and frustrated PHYLLIS who is sitting at her desk. Her organization and execution of a party to win a week off for a Southeast Asian vacation with Bob Vance of Vance Refrigeration has failed. The camera then pans back to MICHAEL.

 

 MICHAEL (cont.)

(happily)

…and get out of here, all of you.

 

The camera pans back over to everyone in the Main Office who have gone from subdued and somnambulant, to alive and revived at an excuse to leave early, now matter how little it is. As they begin to shutdown their computers and move towards the door, the camera returns to MICHAEL, and zooms in on him slightly as he watches the good moods of everyone.

 

 MICHAEL [MICHAEL’s Office]

What a great day. Just [beat]…

(Talking head becomes voiceover as montage of clips are shown)

 

…morale has been so low because of Ryan and everything….

(clip of KELLY staring sadly and vacantly at her computer monitor which has pictures of RYAN’s arrest on it)

 

…and everyone’s been acting all sad and down and stuff…

(clip of ANGELA leaving the Woman’s Bathroom, whilst still refusing to look at the camera)

 

…but that’s not how I run an office, you know? This is a place to, um, escape everything else….

(clip of various employees munching their Snow-Cones or drinking during the party)

 

(continues slightly awkwardly)

….[beat] and, uh, I’m glad Holly won ‘cause [beat] I mean she deserved it, she really raised morale.

(clip of HOLLY and MICHAEL at the party smiling and laughing, albeit slightly awkwardly, with one another)

 

So….

(MICHAEL’s phone rings, but he doesn’t pick it up and it continues to ring, he then explains to the camera)
....it's Jan.

(looks at camera with a suddenly fatigued expression)

 

 

 

CUT TO:

EXT. The Office, Parking Lot

As it is nearly five o’clock, the Parking Lot is strongly illuminated by the Sun as the last cars of the office workers pull out of it to leave for the day. Therefore, the lot is almost completely empty. As the camera follows the cars leaving from the street, it quickly refocuses on the entrance to the building, whilst still remaining a good distance away and hidden from view. Through the doors, JIM and PAM walk out into the Parking Lot. After taking a few steps out the door they stop.

 

PAM

So what are we getting on our pizza?

 

JIM

(playfully)

Our pizza? Pam, did you sit and listen to Michael talk about Jan for, like, an hour?

 

PAM

(teasingly)

Alright, I guess that’s fair….

 

JIM

I promise no mushrooms.

 

PAM

(smiles)

Thank you [beat]

(changes to a more solemn tone with a sigh)

That’s so messed up though, I mean, I feel bad for Michael.

 

JIM

I know me too. But at least he likes Jan, I mean Dwight—

 

PAM

(interrupting)

I know. Wh-What was that today?

 

JIM

(shrugs)

I don’t know. I, uh, guess he’s not [beat] over her? I mean she’s engaged, so…

 

PAM

(lightly sarcastic)

Well there’s no hope then.

 

JIM

(smiling in response to PAM’s tone)

Not unless he tells her how he feels, I guess.

(pauses for a moment then shifts to seriousness)

But [beat] doing that kind of thing isn’t easy.

 

PAM

(seriously)

No [beat] no it isn’t. [beat] I just hope he doesn’t wait too long though.

 

JIM

Yeah…

 

There is a pause of a couple beats between them as they continue to stand in the parking lot, and look at one another.

 

JIM (cont.)

(voice suddenly sounds slightly nervous and softer)

Hey, um, do you still have your mic on?

 

PAM

(surprised)

Uh, yeah.

(reaches and takes mic and mic-pack off, as she does all sound suddenly goes dead from her)

 

JIM

Let me—

(JIM then copies PAM’s movements, and takes off his mic and mic-pack, while switching them off as well. There is now absolutely no sound)

 

The camera stays where it is concealed, but zooms in yet closer to see that JIM and PAM are still talking. They continue to talk for several moments, and it is clear from PAM’s face that the conversation has turned very serious. Then, after another moment, JIM drops to one knee in front of her, and reaches into his pocket. He pulls out a small box, and holds it in front of himself with one hand, while gesturing to PAM with the other, demonstrating that he is talking to her.

PAM, however, is standing without moving while looking at JIM, and her face betrays a breathless shock. After several seconds, JIM raises the box a little closer to her, and the camera is zoomed in just enough to see PAM crying. She then begins to nod, but her lips don’t move for a second, until they do, and even with no volume it’s obvious she is saying “yes.” JIM stands up, and PAM takes a small step forward and hugs him tightly. They then disengage slightly, and kiss, with their arms still wrapped around one another.

 

 

END OF ACT FOUR

 

 

 TAG

 

 

INT. The Office, MICHAEL’s Office


MICHAEL is standing inside his office, looking out his window, through the blinds, towards Reception. The camera moves slightly to look around him, and see that a young female Temp, probably around twenty-two or twenty-three or so, is sitting there on the phone. After a moment, she hangs up and writes a quick message on a yellow Post-It Note.

 

MICHAEL

No, no…

 

MICHAEL moves back to his desk, while still looking out the window, and picks up his phone. He punches fewer then the normal amount of buttons, indicating that whomever he’s calling is on speed dial. He then puts the phone on speakerphone, it rings several times before the person answers.

 

PAM

(all dialogue on speakerphone)

Micha—

 

MICHAEL

(interrupting)

Pam, it’s Michael.

 

PAM

Yeah, I know. Is—

 

 MICHAEL

(interrupting)

I need you to call Reception again, she used the wrong color Post-It Notes.

 

PAM

Michael I [beat] have to go to class, okay?

 

MICHAEL

(matter-of-factly)

You don’t have class today until two.

 

PAM

(surprised)

What? [beat] How do you know that?

 

MICHAEL

Jim told me. I—

 

PAM

(interrupting)

Did he?

 

MICHAEL

Yeah, look—

 

PAM

(interrupting)

Michael, you have to tell her yourself, okay? You’re the boss.

 

MICHAEL

Yeah Pam, the cool boss. The one who used to drive a Porsche, and [beat] I just [beat] okay? I can’t complain about Post-It Notes.

 

PAM

To her?

 

MICHAEL

Yes.

 

PAM

(sigh)

Fine. Just [beat] put me through.

 

MICHAEL

(stares at phone uncomprehendingly)

Uh [beat] I don’t [beat] just call back. Thanks.

(hangs up phone quickly)

 

After a second, from MICHAEL’s Office, a phone is heard to ring in the Main Office. The camera zooms in on Reception through the window, but the Temp doesn’t react whatsoever. It then shifts through the open door of MICHAEL’s Office to JIM’s desk, where he is picking up the phone.

 

JIM

(sweetly)

Hey…

(listens to phone)

Oh. Yeah. Sorry. I—

(listens to phone, and turns to look into MICHAEL’s Office)

Yeah, I didn’t realize [beat] I’ll tell her about the Post-It Notes. Okay. I love you too.

 

JIM hangs up the phone, but holds it in his hand for a moment while looking at it. After a moment he smiles, and then gets up and walks towards Reception.

 

JIM

(while walking towards Reception)

Hey, Michelle....

 

END OF TAG

 

END OF THE EPISODE

 

 


Chapter End Notes:

 

Thanks again, and I hoped you liked it. 



dundiefromgod is the author of 23 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 12 members. Members who liked Stars also liked 2094 other stories.
This story is part of the series, The Office Scripts. The previous story in the series is The Crash. The next story in the series is The Trial.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans